Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Library Does Not Work on NAS Drive

Library Does Not Work on NAS Drive 9 years 9 months ago #537

kinesia

Fresh Boarder

Arrrggh! I just had a huge post, but my session timed out before I clicked post and I lost it!
Please stop it from timing us out, that was only 10 minutes.

My problem may or may not be related to this.

I have a Thecus NAS I am accessing from windows. (Thecus have almost non-existant support, never touch their products.)

I have a 1 terabyte comic collections on there which yacreaderlibrary can see fine.
Creating a library on a smaller local drive works fine.
Scanning the NAS works, I can see it bringing up covers. (Please add an option to disable that feature, I love it, but it's hammering the network and probably slowing down the process, it's not good for libraries this big.)
I leave the scan running overnight and it never completes and a library is never created.
If I stop the scan partway through it works ok, but not if I just leave it running. I don't seem to get an error message.

My NAS has a bug, if you write too much data to it in one go (Between 5 gig and 20 gig somewhere) then it remounts itself readonly, you can still see everything but can't touch it.
I'm wondering this is happening before it gets to write the finally library out.

How often do you update the library during a scan? Can you do partial writes for big libraries?
How much data do you upload? You download a lot with the covers but I didn't think there'd be much upload? Oh, unless you are caching the covers on the drive as you go, that's probably it.

Is it going to take as long to scan when I make small changes? Or do you have clever stuff going on to only read the changes? I'm hoping you are being very clever.

An option to save the library on a local drive would some of us. I know having the library where the comics are is great for portability, but there are other test cases.

The iPad app is brilliant, browsing my library over WiFi while lying in bed is perfect, but I hate having to actually download the comic before I can read it, that's exactly what I was hoping to avoid with this product, and it would be the killer feature for you. Is there any way you can have the library just stream the pages in the background, have the ipad cache them a bit ahead and then delete them when you are finished with that comic?
Part of the biggest problem with other comic readers is the space the comics take up on the device, you are halfway around that problem already.

Thanks a lot for your time and keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Evan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library Does Not Work on NAS Drive 9 years 9 months ago #538

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

kinesia wrote:
Arrrggh! I just had a huge post, but my session timed out before I clicked post and I lost it!
Please stop it from timing us out, that was only 10 minutes.

The session lifetime was set to 30 min, I have changed it to 60 min, it should be enough... FYI, there is a browser plugin called "Lazarus: Form Recovery" that saves for you any web form while you are typing. It is available for Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
kinesia wrote:
(Please add an option to disable that feature, I love it, but it's hammering the network and probably slowing down the process, it's not good for libraries this big.)

Showing the covers is not going to slowdown the process, and it doesn't have any impact on the network traffic. The problem is that YACReaderLibrary needs to open each comic, extract the cover and then write the cover in the destination, this implies bringing all your comics one by one through your network.
kinesia wrote:
How often do you update the library during a scan? Can you do partial writes for big libraries?
How much data do you upload? You download a lot with the covers but I didn't think there'd be much upload? Oh, unless you are caching the covers on the drive as you go, that's probably it.
Each cover is written one by one, but the database is updated within a transaction, if the process doesn't finish without errors the database won't have any data (I will try to change this). For a collection of 200GB of comics you can expect 500Mb for the cache.
kinesia wrote:
Is it going to take as long to scan when I make small changes? Or do you have clever stuff going on to only read the changes? I'm hoping you are being very clever.
No, updates should take just a few seconds for small updates.
kinesia wrote:
An option to save the library on a local drive would some of us. I know having the library where the comics are is great for portability, but there are other test cases.
I have to think if there is an easy way for doing this.
kinesia wrote:
The iPad app is brilliant, browsing my library over WiFi while lying in bed is perfect, but I hate having to actually download the comic before I can read it, that's exactly what I was hoping to avoid with this product, and it would be the killer feature for you. Is there any way you can have the library just stream the pages in the background, have the ipad cache them a bit ahead and then delete them when you are finished with that comic?

Part of the biggest problem with other comic readers is the space the comics take up on the device, you are halfway around that problem already.
I am really glad that you like the app. This feature is already scheduled for future updates, there are a lot of people asking for it.
kinesia wrote:
Thanks a lot for your time and keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Evan

Thank you for all the feedback.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Library Does Not Work on NAS Drive 8 years 3 months ago #1954

nstephenh

Fresh Boarder

Hello, I am also expereincing this error. I have a server with ~2.3 TB of comics connected to my ubuntu laptop via SFTP (such that it mounts to /run/user/1000/gvfs/sftp:host=10.9.0.60/location/on/server). After clicking "Stop", I get an error message that says Error Opening Library "-". Is there anything I can do to help you diagnose this issue or speed up the development of a fix?

Thank you.

EDIT: My quick-and-dirty fix that is obviously not the best way to fix this is as follows. I created a directory on my local drive and placed a symlink to the remote comic directory. That way the database and thumbnails are stored on my local machine, and problems accessing them over the network just don't happen.
ln -s /run/user/1000/gvfs/sftp:host=ser.ver.ip.addr/path_on_server This_is_a_symlink
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by nstephenh.

Library Does Not Work on NAS Drive 8 years 3 months ago #1975

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

This is really weird, I have been accessing my comics over the network recently and I don't have any issues. I am using Samba running in a linux machine and the Windows app, btw.

I have to test this more thoroughly in OSX and Linux.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Luis Ángel.
  • Page: