Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Library Issues

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3442

Punisher2017

Fresh Boarder

I need to rant about this program!!

As a reader, I think it's great. No issues.

For the last few days though, when I'm trying to organise my comic files I'm getting so many errors.

1. Can't select the library I want - Need to click 2-3 down to access it.
2. Cut down the libraries, then add more folders and it crashes when importing.
3. Creating folders - Drag and drop files which don't appear after copying.
4. Even files being copied back onto my hard drive and not appearing in the YAC Reader Library!!

So frustrating, I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3443

skrimaging

Junior Boarder

Thank you received: 4

I have a single librarie that contains all my comics.. I organize mine by creating folders for each comic series.. some are nested in folders (for example: studio/series/story arch)

Have never had any issues with this workflow.. I think the best way to use YAC library is having 1 library. I think the developer even mentioned this in past forum posts.

my iTunes library works the same way.. only one library not many.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3457

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Punisher2017, you should use a single library. More than one are only needed if you have comics in different physical locations.

So just create a library in the foldee containing all your comics, f.e.
/Users/Punisher2017/My Comics

You can update your library by pressing U in your keyboard, that should import any new comic or folders added.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3467

Kinge

Fresh Boarder

I just realized this and spend weeks sorting my comics by era with multiple subfolders for the series, series group, volume, etc. Are there plans to have YAC read subfolders?

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3471

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Kinge wrote:
I just realized this and spend weeks sorting my comics by era with multiple subfolders for the series, series group, volume, etc. Are there plans to have YAC read subfolders?

It supports subfolders since the first release. You only have to create your library in the most top level folder containing your collection...
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Luis Ángel.

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3491

Kinge

Fresh Boarder

It imports the subfolders true, but it doesn't read past the first level. I have to click on each folder to see what issues are in the folder instead of it reading the contents of the subfolder and displaying them as one library. My library has a comics top level folder with the series sorted in alpha order by folder (A, B, C, etc). In each one, there is another folder for the series (Alpha Flight, Batman, Cable), etc. Yacreader doesn't see inside those folders from the main library view. It's the only way to get Yac to sort group the comics together. Right now, the library is arranged by filename only.

I did a test folder to see how it would look with all the comics in one folder and it worked but now the comics are in order by the filenames and my files start with the issue numbers (#01, #01, #01, #01, #02, #02, #02, #02). I didn't see any other grouping options. Unless I missed them.

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3492

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Kinge wrote:
...but it doesn't read past the first level...

That's false. YACReaderLibrary has no limit in the number of subfolder levels.

Could you please share a screenshot of your current setup in YACReaderLibrary?

If you want to provide a custom arrangement for your comics and folders (other than the one you have in your hard disk) you have to create reading lists, you can create sublists and sort comics and folders by drag & drop.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Luis Ángel.

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3495

Kinge

Fresh Boarder

I'm not describing it correctly so my apologies. Let me try this using your screenshot as an example.

Yes, you can see the subfolders as displayed there. But if I select the B folder, and there are not any comics in that folder, then I won't see any. In order to see the comics in the subfolders, I have to select Beast or Bee or Buffalo. What I was referring to was a case where a user could select B and coverflow would display comics from Beast, Bee, and Buffalo in the display. In the screenshot, instead of saying what subfolders are in that folder, it would display the comic books.

I thought that when you add a folder to the library, YAC would scan the folder and subfolders, and pull them into one main library to view all the comics together. It does add the folders as displayed below, but as I mentioned, I would have to select each folder to view the issues.

Reading through how the library works on the forum, I added all my comics to one folder but as you can see, it's showing all the issues by number. I thought tagging them with Comicvine would help sort them since the tags I have are Comicrack tags and not YACReader tags but it didn't.

I started playing around with reading lists but it's a manual process and without the ability to sort by publish date (I like to read comics chronologically) it's not an option just yet. I'm still working on some processes like renaming the files in numerical order. I figured since YAC appears to sort by filename this might make the most sense for me right now.
Attachments:

Library Issues 6 years 4 months ago #3496

Kinge

Fresh Boarder

I'm not describing it correctly so my apologies. Let me try this using your screenshot as an example.

Yes, you can see the subfolders as displayed there. But if I select the B folder, and there are not any comics in that folder, then I won't see any. In order to see the comics in the subfolders, I have to select Beast or Bee or Buffalo. What I was referring to was a case where a user could select B and coverflow would display comics from Beast, Bee, and Buffalo in the display. In the screenshot, instead of saying what subfolders are in that folder, it would display the comic books.

I thought that when you add a folder to the library, YAC would scan the folder and subfolders, and pull them into one main library to view all the comics together. It does add the folders as displayed below, but as I mentioned, I would have to select each folder to view the issues.

Reading through how the library works on the forum, I added all my comics to one folder but as you can see, it's showing all the issues by number.

I thought tagging them with Comicvine would help sort them since the tags I have are Comicrack tags and not YACReader tags but it didn't.

I started playing around with reading lists but it's a manual process and without the ability to sort by publish date (I like to read comics chronologically) it's not an option just yet. I'm still working on some processes like renaming the files in numerical order. I figured since YAC appears to sort by filename this might make the most sense for me right now.

Library Issues 6 years 3 months ago #3510

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Folders are just folders, and they behaviour mimics any folder browser you can find out there (finder, file explorer, etc...).

I wouldn't recomend you to change your files at all, just sort the comics in you hard drive the way you want, import everyting into yacreaderlibrary and use reading lists when it's necessary.

I don't know how many users want to see 62000 comics all at once in a single flow....

I agree about the need of adding more sorting capabilites and smart lists, these features will come in future releases.