Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Stuck loading previous pages of pdf files

Stuck loading previous pages of pdf files 7 years 1 month ago #3029

Matt99

Fresh Boarder

I open a previously read pdf and get taken to the last page I was on perfectly fine, however when I then try and go back a page it gets stuck loading but never actually loads. From testing I'm pretty sure this only happens with pdf files.

Anyone else had this problem or know any possible solutions? So far I've tried lower the performance slider, disabling hardware acceleration and downloading the angle version of yacreader, all to no success.

Alternatively does anyone know a way to batch convert pdf to cbz or cbr losslessly?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Stuck loading previous pages of pdf files 7 years 1 month ago #3030

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Hi Matt,

this behaviour is a by-product of the way we're opening files in YACReader. To put it simple, when YACReader opens a comic it first loads the last page you were reading into memory and it continues from there to the end of the comic file, then continueing from the first page to the page you're reading.

The reason you seem to get "stuck" on the pdf file is that the pdf rendering engine we're currently shipping (poppler 0.20 if I'm not mistaken) is quite old and doesn't render pdf pages very fast. So you have to wait...

We are currently running some tests with a faster pdf rendering engine (pdfium) so this issue will probably go from a major problem to a smaller nuisance in the next version of YACReader. To truly get rid of it we would need to change the way we're currently managing pdf pages in-memory from prerendered pages to on-demand rendering.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Stuck loading previous pages of pdf files 7 years 1 month ago #3031

Matt99

Fresh Boarder

Well thanks for telling me. Right now I'm using a workaround of opening the documents going back a few pages closing it and re-opening it and that seems to be working pretty well.