Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Hello from the US!

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3354

ajaycee

Fresh Boarder

Hello!

I'm AJ...! I decided to join after using your app for a few days and loved it!

I'm a Software Engineer who has recently got into reading comics on my computer and phone, and would love to see if I could help out with some of the development work. Where could I find some information about how to get running with that?

Current comic: Ultimate Spider-man B)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3355

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Hi AJ and welcome to the forum! Any help, especially dev help, is greatly appreciated. The first place you should take a look at is Luis' Bitbucket repository:

bitbucket.org/luisangelsm/yacreader/

This is where the actual coding happens. Don't hesitate to contact me or Luis if you're having trouble getting started.

As for an actual task for you to work on it depenends. What are you good at, what would you like to see as a feature in YACReader? Luis has a huge TODO list with feature requests and there's always plain old refactoring work (some of our codebase is quite old and in dire need of improvement).

Hope to see you "on the team" soon ;)

Felix
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3356

ajaycee

Fresh Boarder

Thanks for the welcome, Felix!

I typically work in Java and Python, mainly on the back-end. I haven't touched c++ since school, but always interested in picking up new skills :P. I'll take a look and try to get a build working, then take a look at the backlog of stuff.

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3358

selmf

Developer

Make sure you use the development branch, not the default one. Don't worry about about your programming skill, we're not C++ gods either and we don't expect contributors to be. You should probably read a bit about the Qt toolkit we're using and about modern C++ (C++11), but that's it. For the backlog we will have to wait till Luis chimes in - he can also give you access to our Slack so we can communicate a little more direct (if the time difference allows).
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by selmf.

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3368

ajaycee

Fresh Boarder

Thanks. I finally got a build going and saw some minor aesthetic changes reflected in a new build. Going to read up a bit more on Qt and then i'll follow up with you!

Do you have any recommendations on where to start when trying to understand the codebase? Specifically just the Reader for now (not the library yet)

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3372

selmf

Developer

Start with the build system. To be precise, start with "YACReader/YACReader.pro". That should give you a rough idea what's going on.

Basically the code is split into stuff that is specific to either the library or the reader and shared code (format handling and backends, configuration handling, custom widgets …). Take into consideration that YACReader is a project that has grown over time and the skills of the persons involved have grown with it. Some of the code is a bit old, some comments are in spanish only and you might encounter a wild mix of indentations and coding styles.

When working on something follow the boyscout rule - leave the code cleaner than you found it, fix obvious mistakes. And communicate before starting a huge project ;)

Hello from the US! 6 years 6 months ago #3378

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

@ajaycee if you need help getting started we can schedule a chat in slack, let me know if you are interested and I'll invite you to yacreader's workspace in slack.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\