Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Compatibility with Windows XP

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4851

l_loughty

Fresh Boarder

In the download page said that it's compatible with Windows XP, but that isn't true! The installer even open X(. Check the attach.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4852

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

I need to update the download page then. I think it is time to let windows XP die and rest in peace.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4855

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Windows 7 is the new XP.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4856

l_loughty

Fresh Boarder

Luis Ángel wrote:
I need to update the download page then.

¿What is the real last version compatible with Windows XP?, the portable version I think it's works, I gonna test it more late.

Luis Ángel wrote:
I think it is time to let windows XP die and rest in peace.
It's still good on very old computer where his drivers don't works on Windows 7, but of course, that's a niche an anybody have to be forced to follow. I like use that old hardware for read comics and play arcades :).

Off-topic: some people recommend linux for old computers, but that's bad, linux it's good for low performance computers, but NOT for old computers :(.

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4857

l_loughty

Fresh Boarder

selmf wrote:
Windows 7 is the new XP.

I know, the next year end the Microsoft support, but there's a lot of people that don't want leave. The last question is: when no option left, what they gonna do, move to Windows 10 or move to Linux? ;S

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4858

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I did a quick check and I think that it technically still would be possible to build the current version of YACReader for XP. You'd need to use Qt 5.7 and I'm not sure if our dependencies would run without issues, but it probably could be achieved with 9.6.2. I'm not sure if we could support it though as the user base is very small.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Compatibility with Windows XP 4 years 6 months ago #4859

l_loughty

Fresh Boarder

selmf wrote:
I did a quick check and I think that it technically still would be possible to build the current version of YACReader for XP. You'd need to use Qt 5.7 and I'm not sure if our dependencies would run without issues, but it probably could be achieved with 9.6.2. I'm not sure if we could support it though as the user base is very small.

Here's my report:
- YACReader Portable 6.5.3: Works! (see 1st attach).
- YACReader 9.5.0: Let install, but don't open (see 2nd attach).
- YACReader 8.5.0 OpenGL: (downloaded from filehippo, 'cause I don't find a Windows installer on GitHub) Works! (see 3rd attach) 8).

NOTE: All this I do in a VM on my work 'cause I'm not in my home, more late I gonna test on real hardware. If there's any difference, I notify it.

So, from 6.X to 8.X seems cool. There's an URL for the 9.0 version for Windows? Unfortunately I'm don't know how to built it by myself :huh:.
Attachments: