Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Autodetection of panels when possible

Autodetection of panels when possible 6 years 4 days ago #3844

Jose Hidalgo

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Hi, and congratulations on a great software :)

Could you please add autodetection of panels, in the same way that CBReader already does ? ( sourceforge.net/projects/bdreader/ ). it's an amazing feature that allows you to read a comic book comfortably, without having to worry about anything, since panels display one after another and their zoom is handled automatically ! Plus it works 99% of the time :)

What do you think ? Thanks in advance !
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mold0101

Autodetection of panels when possible 6 years 4 days ago #3846

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

This does look interesting, but it's probably out of scope for us right now. Having advanced image analysis options to detect panels and/or bubbles introduces an extra layer of complexity and our image viewer code is not well set up to handle this. The code involved is due for some serious refactoring or a rewrite, but we haven't yet had time to do this yet and we're still discussing some technical details. We will add your request to our list of possible features/usecases and once we reach the point it becomes feasible to implement something like this we will discuss this again. You will have to be patient though - we're a small project with little manpower, so this will probably take a while.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Autodetection of panels when possible 6 years 3 days ago #3848

Jose Hidalgo

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Sure, I understand, thanks :)

FYI you could start with some very basic autodetection (only rectangular panels with black borders), which would already work 90% of the time. That would be easier to implement. It's what CBReader does already. You could even ask them for advice if you want.

Complex panel shape autodetection could come later, but it's a lot of effort for only 10% of the comics, so...

Autodetection of panels when possible 6 years 3 days ago #3849

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

The detection of the panels is just one detail of the implementation of a guided panel view. Getting from the detection of the layout to a smooth working UI implementation that is reasonably fast and integrates well into a legacy codebase is the real challenge. Emphasis on reasonably fast, it's nearly impossible to get Luis to sacrifice even the tiniest fraction of a millisecond when it comes to user interface reaction speed. It also doesn't help that this feature will almost certainly require the addition of extra dependencies to our build process, something both I and Luis try to avoid whenever possible.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Autodetection of panels when possible 3 years 10 months ago #5263

RUSHSAUN

Fresh Boarder

KEEPING HOPE ALIVE!!!

I did not want to chime in after your comments on this. But i do believe it is important to make it known that this is the one feature i keep finding myself wishing for while utilizing YAC. I have been a user of other apps in the past due to this feat alone. I do understand the workload it will place on you all and am just glad you have put it on your possible feature/use case list.

Needless to say I second this. But not as that make of brake feature, but more that nice to have didn’t know you’d miss it when it was gone one.

And again thanks for such a great App.