Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Confusing size of pdf files

Confusing size of pdf files 3 years 5 months ago #5481

Melmoth

Fresh Boarder

Hi,
Bit confused - just installed YACREADER on my IPAD and its size was roughly 300mb - I then imported some pdf comics with a size of 750mb - however when I look on my ipad storage I see 2.8 GB! I have nothing else on my YACRREADER. Can anyone tell me how this can be?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Confusing size of pdf files 3 years 5 months ago #5482

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

PDF is not the best format for comics, YACReader prerender the pages of the PDFs files while they are imported, the size you are seing is exactly that, the render of the PDF files.

I am going to add a setting to improve this, but it will only work for pages embeded in the PDF as images (which should cover most of the cases).
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Confusing size of pdf files 3 years 5 months ago #5486

Melmoth

Fresh Boarder

Many thanks - all is now clear. Again, an excellent app which has given me much pleasure.

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 4 months ago #7315

comic_fan

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Hi, any news on this ? I just transferred my comics collection from chunky to yacreader , and while with chunky it was 26gb, in yacreader it now takes 41GB ! I have very limited space , what can I do ? Will there be improvements on storage?
Did you already optimised images scans PDF?

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 4 months ago #7316

Luis Ángel

Administrator

There is a setting in Settings -> Other -> PDF, is it enabled?

How did you import the comics? That setting only works while importing, but it does nothing if you import from YACReaderLibrary.

I really dislike pdf for comics, because most of the times it is just a bunch of images in a pdf, so it doesn’t really make any sense. But I guess I need to bite the bullet and implement on demand rendering for pdfs…one of these days.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Luis Ángel.

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 4 months ago #7317

Luis Ángel

Administrator

If you don’t have much space you can also try to read remotely from YACReaderLibrary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comic_fan

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 4 months ago #7320

comic_fan

Fresh Boarder

it is enabled, should i disable it ? will it make PDF reading much slower ?

i imported the comics from chunky (locally on ipad ) , but otherwise i'll import using yacreaderlibrary and keep the setting on

yeah i prefer CBZ as well but many people (me included) have most of their collection in pdf . I could try to convert them ig

oh yeah maybe some day haha, no need to apologize

thanks

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 4 months ago #7322

Luis Ángel

Administrator

The setting should be on, if it was on and you imported directly from your iPad then that’s the better the app can do so far.

Do you have any books among the files? or any file with many pages? it is probably some specific files…

Confusing size of pdf files 1 year 3 months ago #7325

comic_fan

Fresh Boarder

It is on

I tried to import the files both from yacreader library AND from ipad local storage , and in both cases it was too big (8gb files transforming into 13gb in yac)

When I’ll have time I try to see if any specific file is the issue , to help you debug this down .

I don’t have book, they are all comics . 40 pdf scanned images comics , and 5 cbz

In chunky or even in yacreader for Mac (yacreader library) they obviously take the storage that’s indicated by right clicking on folder , aka 8gb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel