Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Setup Remote Reading

Setup Remote Reading 9 years 1 month ago #1223

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

To access from other networks you need to do port forwarding from/to your public ip. That's usually done in your router and how it's done depends on your manufacturer.

Word of caution, YACReaderLibrary has no access control mechanisms. You will expose your library to the whole internet, anyone who knows where to find it will be able to access it.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Setup Remote Reading 9 years 1 month ago #1224

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Port forwarding can be achieved automatically, f.e. using UPnP. But, obviously, the router has to support it.

I am not really in the mood for adding this to YACReaderLibrary, time ago I worked with UPnP and I had enough. If somebody wants to help with the code, please ask me anything, I will help as much as possible.

@ThisbigBLACK you don't need to have your firewall off, just allow YACReaderLibrary through it.

FYI, timeouts in YACReader for iOS are tuned for local access, but if you have a good connection it should work fine from outside.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Setup Remote Reading 9 years 1 month ago #1225

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I agree, UPnP is not a priority. There are other things to do before we should think about encouraging users to expose YACLib to the internet.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Setup Remote Reading 9 years 3 weeks ago #1229

jaykpatel

Fresh Boarder

Is there a way to manual add an IP address within the iOS app? Currently the app only allows link to a computer via wifi settings. I assume this is to save on cellular data usage.

Thanks,

JKP

Setup Remote Reading 9 years 3 weeks ago #1230

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Welcome to the forum jaykpatel.

You can set an the server's IP after tapping in the 'Browse' button. I will enable the data plan in the 2.0 version.
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Setup Remote Reading 7 years 11 months ago #2363

gokuu

Fresh Boarder

Am I correct in assuming that YACReader accesses the YACReaderLibrary via HTTP?

If that's the case, could it be possible to access by DNS name and not just IP? If you use a dynamic IP service like dyn.com, you never know when you public IP will change.

On a related note, the linux headless version of the YACReaderLibrary doesn't seem to have a QR code to add devices, am I correct?

Thanks

Setup Remote Reading 7 years 11 months ago #2366

Luis Ángel

Administrator

YACReader for iOS uses HTTP for connecting with YACReaderLibrary.

Yes, you can use a domain for accessing your network.

And no, the headless version doesn't have a QR code because it doesn't have any way for displaying it (not sure if a QR code printed in the console would work).
The following user(s) said Thank You: gokuu

Setup Remote Reading 7 years 11 months ago #2367

gokuu

Fresh Boarder

I don't know why, but when I posted I wasn't being able to access the library via domain, only via IP address, I kept getting back an error. Now I can, and I haven't changed anything. :-)

As for the QR code, you could always render it in the browser, and all a user had to do was open the page on a computer, and scan the code.

Another question, does the app support a server with some form of authentication (basic HTTP authentication or any other type?)

Thanks

Setup Remote Reading 7 years 11 months ago #2386

Luis Ángel

Administrator

No, there is no auth mechanisms yet. That is why the server is only intented to work in a local network.
  • Page: