Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader Library scripting and API

YACReader Library scripting and API 2 years 3 months ago #6479

domiriel

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Hi!

Over the years, even before I started using YACReader, I've developed a few Python scripts to help me manage my library. As I now organize my comics inside YACReaderLib, it would be nice if there is a possibility to run some scripts against selected comics. I was thinking of something as simple as a context menu option listing "registered scripts", that we would select to get them to run. This would result in the script being called (running the external program as defined in a dialogue box somewhere) with the comics' full pathnames as arguments or (even better, for large selections, perhaps as an option in the "script registering" dialogue) piped in through stdin (the script would just READ them). After the script ends, YACReaderLib would automatically refresh/update those comics.

This would open up a realm of new possibilities and would be fairly simple to implement, while keeping YACReaderLib essentially unchanged and uncomplicated (it is, after all, a power feature). It would especially make it easier to do some batch operations on several files.

The next step for this would be some kind of API to query the database. The simplest way would be to provide some REST endpoints available while the app and server are running. The lack of this is not a showstopper, as we can easily access the contents library.ydb file (sqlite), but would still make it easier to build on top of the "smart" search you have implemented, etc. and is the natural complement of the scripting feature.

I know all of these are rather niche, when compared with the overall user base, but might still be interesting

Keep on the great work!
D.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZaibatsuRandom

YACReader Library scripting and API 2 years 3 months ago #6485

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

I would love to have something like this in the app, it would be nice to have those scripts shared with the community too.

But I don't know when I'll find time to work on it. Hopefully someone will open a PR.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The administrator has disabled public write access.