Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Library Speed Connection Issues

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 3 weeks ago #7771

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

Hey all

I've used yac reader library for about 6 months on my iPad without Issues using the external IP of my network to connect in when I'm remote.

Recently switched to AT&T fiber and am running into issues. In the at&t route I did allow port 8888 (which I specified on my server) and I also allowed pass through for outside connections to my computer where the server is. I can connect.

The issue is the connection is slow and times out to the point that it is unusable. I'm not sure why it would be slow like this but it is causing me issues with downloading comics or reading them.

Any recommendations here?

Computer: Windows 10
Tablet: IPad Pro
ISP: AT&T Fiber
Server Port: 8888
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 3 weeks ago #7784

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

Found the solution to this issue. Will update to add to the community KB soon.

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 3 weeks ago #7785

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

Okay new problem.

This is no longer a speed issue.

When I set a port for some reason, the port is listening with my ipv6 IP instead of my IPv4. I have no clue why. For example. I set it to 8888 and I see:
netstat -an | find "8888"
  TCP    [2600:1700:3fd5:24f0::49]:8888  [::]:0                 LISTENING

I can't get to that when I browse in the browser.

Mind you, my computer local IP is 192.168.1.68

I tried going in the browser to 192.168.1.68:8888 (locally) and it does not work.

The port for some reason isn't listening on my ipv4 address.

Any reasons as to why it would do this and how to fix?

Library Local AND Remote Connection Issues (IPv6?) 8 months 3 weeks ago #7787

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

I called my ISP (AT&T) to do troubleshooting. I have the fiber service. This is what I found.

When I have the allocation mode settings in my modem set to "Passthrough Server" this means that the device I choose (my main home computer) loses its local IP (192.168.x.x) completely and gains the external IP of my modem. This is a problem for many reasons.

1. I can't do any internal local networking. No communication from other computers or devices to that computer, no internal server hosting for that computer, and when it comes to Yac Reader, no connectivity to my comic library if I'm on the local network.

2. I cannot access Yac reader locally if I'm on the same network even if I'm using the external IP address. This is because AT&T's network/modem does not allow you to route out from and then come back in same interface/network. It's either Bogon or some other kind of filtering. Therefore, I can only access the comic server with my devices if I'm OFF the network. Weird right? Remotely, this is fine but obviously this is annoying when I'm at home in my bedroom with my tablet that has no LTE and needs Wifi (I use a hotspot when I'm away).

When I turn the allocation mode on my modem to "Default Server" this is what happens:

1. My local IP exists again and it is accessible over the port I set for Yac Reader and all my non yYc local networking works.

2. My external IP exists and the server is accessible remotely.

3. I have two server profiles on my tablet, one for local when I'm at home and one for remote when I'm away. And it works swimingly.

4. My Ports look like they are supposed to when I run netstat:
  TCP    0.0.0.0:8888           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    [::]:8888              [::]:0                 LISTENING

This what happens randomly when I do nothing, or maybe if I restart my computer or the service.
  TCP    [2600:1700:3fd5:24f0::49]:8888  [::]:0                 LISTENING

Yeah, it starts using my IPv6 IP for GOD KNOWS WHAT REASON.

when it's like this, I can access the server locally if I use the IPv6 IP, but I can't access it remotely at all.

Then sometimes, randomly, with no intervention of my own, it goes back to using IPv4 and everything works.

The AT&T tech I spoke to was surprisingly more knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else I spoke to at the company but he doesn't seem to be able to fully solve the problem regardless of understanding it, other than turning off IPv6 completely. But he's worried this will cause other networking issues and is afraid to do so.

Anyways, with all of this information, is there any other insight anyone might be able to offer as a solution to this problem or a reason as to why Yac Reader starts using my IPv6 IP instead of my IPv4, thus cutting off my connectivity?

Library Local AND Remote Connection Issues (IPv6?) 8 months 2 weeks ago #7790

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

One thing you can try is disable IPv6 but only in your computer, it won’t affect your service at all and YACReader will use IPv4.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 2 weeks ago #7791

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

Update:

I did disable IPv6 on my computer. Initially it did not bind 8888 to anything after doing that.

On a PC restart it, YAC had chosen a random port. I set it back to 8888 and it's listening on the right ports according to Netstat again ( and connectivity works).

I'll test restarting again later to see if for some reason the 8888 reverts back to a random port again. If it does that's going to be a problem and I may need to figure out how to run a script that auto sets it to 8888 on boot up.

Slightly unrelated, is there a way to get Yac reader to automatically launch on boot?

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 2 weeks ago #7794

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

If it picks a random port it is because the port you set is being used (or failed to be set for some reason) when the app starts
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Library Speed Connection Issues 8 months 2 weeks ago #7796

robinsonjiv@gmail.com

Fresh Boarder

Gotcha, You've been a huge help. Thank you much for your feedback. This is working almost 100% now.