Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Refresh edited files in library

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1159

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 3

If I edit pages in a book with ComicRack, the changes do not apply in YACReader, even if I restart the program or update the library. Is there a way to "refresh" the books in YACReader so that the changes apply?

For instance, a book was showing the back cover as the front in YACReader, so I went to ComicRack and changed the page to be marked as the back cover, but that change does not apply in YACReader, even after a restart and if I update the library.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1160

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

YACReader reads your comic files as they are on your harddisk. If ComicRack doesn't physically change the order of the files in the comic container YACReader won't pick it up. The only way to do this is to manully rename the files inside the container. Any good compression software can be used for that, I'd suggest 7zip as that's what we're using to handle decompression in YACReader.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1161

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

ComicRack renames the files.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1162

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Ah... ok, I see what is happening. It's the cover thumbnails that don't get refreshed. So, if I edit a file to fix the cover it doesn't change in the "cover flow", but if I open the book I can see the changes.

So, I think it would be great if the program could generate a new thumbnail for changed files.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1183

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

On a related note... I have noticed that if I combine a couple folders of comics on my PC and then update the library in YACReader, it does not make the changes.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1184

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Could you put here the path of the two folders, and the final path of the combined one? Thanks
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1185

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Sure, the final folder, which was one of the starting folders is: D:\Comics\Organized\X\X-Men, The Uncanny (1963)

The other folder (which is gone now, combined into the above) I believe was the same but (1968) at the end.

I combined about 30 books or so into the larger folder.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1188

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

What was the final status after updating the library?

Was the "other folder" deleted from the library? Were the comics moved to the first folder added to the library in the right folder?
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1189

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Both original folders are still there, even after updating the library several times.

I should mention I'm on 8.0 beta right now.

Refresh edited files in library 9 years 1 month ago #1200

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Finally had some time to look into this. The hash algorithm YACReaderLibrary only hashes the first 0.5 MB of a file. This means the hash of a comic file does not necessarily change when you make adjustments to the archive. A simple but costly fix would be to hash the whole file, but that would increase the time a library import takes by a lot. So we might consider comparing the time of the last write access to a comic with the creation time of its cover thumbnail. If the last write is more recent we do a refresh of the file.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drybonz