Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Rendering Issue

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #839

ksherman777

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Hi, so I know someone else already kinda mentioned something like this earlier but I just have a question about YAC rendering the comic images on a mac. I have a new Macbook pro 13" with retina display. Whenever I try to read a comic through the YAC reader the image always comes out fuzzy/pixilated unless I choose to "view full size" but even that is often pixelated around the edges and stuff. I tried the whole text font thing and that never worked. I usually like to not view it in full screen mode because it can be difficult to get out of and whatnot but I know that its possible to fully render the images without distortion even if not viewed at full size. I have attached an image of a comic page being view in YAC right next to the same page in Simple Comic. From the photo you can see that it is fine in the Simple Comic viewer but a little distorted in YAC. Do you know what the reason is or how I could fix it? I love the organizer feature for YAC's library but when I want to read it on my computer then I always use Simple Comic for this reason. Let me know if you need any more information. Otherwise keep up the good work!!

Link to the photo:
postimg.org/image/g4cf4c45j/
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by ksherman777. Reason: Link to Photo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #840

ksherman777

Fresh Boarder

If you click on the link it will show the screenshot zoomed out and if you click the screen shot it will zoom in so you can see the difference in detail

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #841

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

That's a known Qt problem on mac. Physical pixels and device-independent pixels differ and this results in the garbled image you've shown.
For Luis: Here's an example qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/48822 (be sure to check the comments)
QT5 has ways to handle this, alas YACReader is stuck with QT4 which has only basic support for retina and other high-dpi stuff. We can only hope that QT 5.4 gives us better mac support so YAC can do the switch to QT5 on mac.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #842

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

ksherman777, I am aware about the issues in YACReader (desktop) when it runs in retina displays.

One of the tasks in YACReader's 8.0 roadmap is to do some serious work on the Mac version for fixing this kind of problems. Is going to be a tough work but it has to be done.

As selmf said, there are some technical problems causing YACReader for MacOSX to be stuck in an old version of Qt. I need to do some test, maybe one solution is to launch YACReader for MacOSX using client side decorations (f.e: github.com/Kampfgnom/QINAppStoreMainWindow , github.com/indragiek/INAppStoreWindow) What do you think selmf?

Sorry for any inconveniences :(
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #843

ksherman777

Fresh Boarder

No worries, thanks for the quick response!! I'm sure it's tough work, I just thought I would let you guys know if you didn't already. Hope it's not too difficult. Good luck

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #844

selmf

Developer

We could try to use a native mac toolbar to work around the blocker bug, at least QtMacExtras has seen some work since the release of qt5. (qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qmactoolbar.html)
We could drop the opengl accelerated cover flow on mac for now to get around the blocker bug, reading is more important than a fancy cover flow imho.

I don't think we can count on the blocker bug being fixed by qt soon :angry:

As I don't own a mac there isn't much I can do.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #845

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you, I didn't realize that QtMacExtras::QMacToolBar was finally integrated in Qt 5.3.

The first test looks promising, the glitch in the toolbar is gone. Now, I have a problem with the height of the toolbar :s
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #846

Luis Ángel

Administrator

ksherman777 wrote:
No worries, thanks for the quick response!! I'm sure it's tough work, I just thought I would let you guys know if you didn't already. Hope it's not too difficult. Good luck

If you do not mind, as soon as I will have a preliminary version with the render issue fixed I will send you a version for testing. I don't have a Mac with retina display...
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Luis Ángel.

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #847

selmf

Developer

It shouldn't be too hard to fix the render issue in QT5. I think that all that is needed is checking for the devices devicepixelratio and taking it into account when scaling the pixmap we use for display.

qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qwindow.html#devicePixelRatio
qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qpixmap.html#devicePixelRatio

There's also the option to pass a second pixmap to the QLabel using the "@2" keyword like it's described in the comments of that qt5.4 beta bugreport I linked.

Regarding the toolbar size problem: NSToolbar has a property called "sizeMode". This can be set using setSizeMode. No idea how to use the objective c stuff from cpp though... I'd post apples doc on it, but the forum software considers it spam...

You can get a handle for NSToolbar using QMacToolBar::nativeToolbar()
Hope this helps - a native toolbar is probably the best way to go for the mac users :)
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by selmf.

Rendering Issue 9 years 5 months ago #848

Luis Ángel

Administrator

PDF rendering is done using objetive-c so dealing with native objects shouldn't be a problem. But I was trying to use as many Qt mechanisms as possible.
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Luis Ángel.
  • Page: