- Posts: 88
- Thank you received: 7
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.
Android App
- middle_pickup
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Premium Member
-
Less
More
9 years 1 month ago #3257
by middle_pickup
Android App was created by middle_pickup
I have recently moved to Android, and I desperately miss my YACreader app on my mobile. Can I convince you to do an Android release? How difficult would this be? I purchased YACreader on the iOS app store, and I would gladly purchase it from the Google Play Store.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
9 years 1 month ago #3258
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Android App
I think this is already on Luis to-do list but this probably won't happen anytime soon. Despite the Appstore sales and the donations this is still a project we do in out free time, not something we can actually live off. An Android app would need to be written from scratch, there is very little in our existing codebase we could reuse.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- middle_pickup
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Premium Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 88
- Thank you received: 7
9 years 1 month ago #3259
by middle_pickup
Replied by middle_pickup on topic Android App
Dang. That's too bad to hear. I just bought my first Android phone, a Oneplus 5. I haven't found a comic reader half as good as YACreader for Android yet.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- invisifan
-
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 15
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 11 months ago #3392
by invisifan
Replied by invisifan on topic Android App
I’m a bit surprised to hear that since Android is an *N*X fork just like iOS, MAC OSX and obviously Linux/BSD so although the system interfaces are likely quite different the base code shouldn’t be …but I’m in no position to say — and I’d really like to see an Android version myself (currently using Perfectviewer on my tablet).selmf wrote: An Android app would need to be written from scratch, there is very little in our existing codebase we could reuse.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 11 months ago #3395
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Android App
Well, the iOS app and the desktop version are completely different codebases. iOS is closed source, written in Objective-C if I'm not mistaken, desktop is written in C++ using the Qt toolkit. An Android app would need to be written in Java. We could reuse some C/C++ code from the desktop, mainly the libraries used to open cb* files and pdf, but otherwise it's starting from a clean slate. Another option would be to write a browser based client for YACReaderLibraryServer, which is something we have considered, but never got around to.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 7 months ago #3733
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Android App
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Link removed because possibly spam.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- kodiak
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 1
- Thank you received: 0
6 years 10 months ago #4929
by kodiak
Replied by kodiak on topic Android App
Hello!
First thing, thanks so much for the great app, use it frequently on Linux. As for Android, I was wondering if you had heard of the Flutter SDK for native-speed cross-platform development? It could make it easy to make some future version of the Yacreader work on literally everything, with just one codebase.
flutter.dev/
I would 100% pay $10 for this on Android. Shoot, I bet a ton of us would - even if the final retail wouldn't be $10, but lower price on par with the $3 IOS price, I bet a core group of us early supporters would pledge out a price over retail to help kick start development. I think Flutter is going to be big, so it'd be a great opportunity to start using it!
First thing, thanks so much for the great app, use it frequently on Linux. As for Android, I was wondering if you had heard of the Flutter SDK for native-speed cross-platform development? It could make it easy to make some future version of the Yacreader work on literally everything, with just one codebase.
flutter.dev/
I would 100% pay $10 for this on Android. Shoot, I bet a ton of us would - even if the final retail wouldn't be $10, but lower price on par with the $3 IOS price, I bet a core group of us early supporters would pledge out a price over retail to help kick start development. I think Flutter is going to be big, so it'd be a great opportunity to start using it!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
6 years 10 months ago #4933
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Android App
Yes I know flutter. The technologi/sdk/tools doesn't matter much (I have plenty of experience developing for Android), it is just a matter of how much time I can spend in YACReader...
I have tried, and there is code written but way far from anything I can put in the play store.
I have tried, and there is code written but way far from anything I can put in the play store.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luv_3
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 0
5 years 7 months ago #5780
by Luv_3
Replied by Luv_3 on topic Android App
Anything near an update on this topic? Not that I expect anything anytime soon really but I'm curious whether there have been any steps towards a YACReader version for Android.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
5 years 7 months ago #5781
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Android App
It comes up in our dev discussions every once in a while and the possibility that an Android app could be made is taken into account for some of our technical decisions, but nothing concrete has happened yet.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel