- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.
No Series Info (Over-emphasis of Issue Title)
- anville
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
8 years 5 months ago #3838
by anville
No Series Info (Over-emphasis of Issue Title) was created by anville
A few parts to this, but the gist is that in YACReader the title of an issue is given more importance than the series-issue number pair, which seems wrong for most American comics, where the individual issue title is more akin to the chapter title of a book. For example, I'll refer to "The Walking Dead" issue #178, which has the title "New World Order Part Four" Once I've added the comic file to my library, I can use the Comic Vine scraper to tag the issue. The library then has all the info about the comic.
-- In the table view of the library, there is no column for the series, but the issue number is there, which is confusing. (I'd also like to be able to sort by any column, but that's a separate thing)
-- In the cover view, only issue title and the issue number are shown ("New World Order Part Four #178"), which is *very* confusing! For me it would be must more useful to the have the series name there: e.g. "The Walking Dead #178").
-- The details view (cover above, details below), is also odd. The issue number is first, followed by the filename in bold. ("#178 - the_walking_dead_#178.cbz") The next line has a much smaller series name, and the issue title doesn't appear at all! Personally, I think if there is metadata, the order of importance is: Series Name/Issue Number, followed by Issue title, followed by Filename. If there is no metadata, then the filename is most important.
-- If I click to view the comic, the title bar of the new reader window shows only the title: "New World Order Part Four". Again, this seems less useful to me, and would much prefer to see "The Walking Dead #178
This may seem like nit-picky stuff, but if you have a large library, presentation of the metadata make a big difference. Maybe there could eventually be an option to allow more emphasis of the series name?
Thanks!
-- In the table view of the library, there is no column for the series, but the issue number is there, which is confusing. (I'd also like to be able to sort by any column, but that's a separate thing)
-- In the cover view, only issue title and the issue number are shown ("New World Order Part Four #178"), which is *very* confusing! For me it would be must more useful to the have the series name there: e.g. "The Walking Dead #178").
-- The details view (cover above, details below), is also odd. The issue number is first, followed by the filename in bold. ("#178 - the_walking_dead_#178.cbz") The next line has a much smaller series name, and the issue title doesn't appear at all! Personally, I think if there is metadata, the order of importance is: Series Name/Issue Number, followed by Issue title, followed by Filename. If there is no metadata, then the filename is most important.
-- If I click to view the comic, the title bar of the new reader window shows only the title: "New World Order Part Four". Again, this seems less useful to me, and would much prefer to see "The Walking Dead #178
This may seem like nit-picky stuff, but if you have a large library, presentation of the metadata make a big difference. Maybe there could eventually be an option to allow more emphasis of the series name?
Thanks!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
8 years 5 months ago #3839
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic No Series Info (Over-emphasis of Issue Title)
Does it make sense to repeate the series name again and again?
The way I see is, the folder name coincides with the series name, then the issue number, then the issue title: “The walking dead #178 New world order.
Comic Vine shows comics this way, number - issue title
The way I see is, the folder name coincides with the series name, then the issue number, then the issue title: “The walking dead #178 New world order.
Comic Vine shows comics this way, number - issue title
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- anville
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 5 months ago #3840
by anville
But the folder name doesn't always coincide with the series name. Not on my storage anyways. And honestly filenames might not be formatted nicely, or use underscores, etc. I want rely on library apps to manage the files by metadata so I don't have to worry about folders and filenames, and have the comic library presented to me the as just comics
I'm not sure what you mean about Comic Vine. When I look at the page for my example issue ( comicvine.gamespot.com/comic/4000-664958/ ) I see this for the page title:
The Walking Dead #178 - New World Order Part Four (Issue) And I see that the the most prominent information on that same page (just below the site menus) is the series name and issue number. Just below, in smaller type is the issue title.
I'm not suggesting to repeat the series name again and again, but I think it should optionally be used (instead of issue title) for the short labels in the various views/titlebars, and also show it in the table view.
Replied by anville on topic No Series Info (Over-emphasis of Issue Title)
Luis Ángel wrote: Does it make sense to repeate the series name again and again?
The way I see is, the folder name coincides with the series name, then the issue number, then the issue title: “The walking dead #178 New world order.
Comic Vine shows comics this way, number - issue title
But the folder name doesn't always coincide with the series name. Not on my storage anyways. And honestly filenames might not be formatted nicely, or use underscores, etc. I want rely on library apps to manage the files by metadata so I don't have to worry about folders and filenames, and have the comic library presented to me the as just comics
I'm not sure what you mean about Comic Vine. When I look at the page for my example issue ( comicvine.gamespot.com/comic/4000-664958/ ) I see this for the page title:
The Walking Dead #178 - New World Order Part Four (Issue) And I see that the the most prominent information on that same page (just below the site menus) is the series name and issue number. Just below, in smaller type is the issue title.
I'm not suggesting to repeat the series name again and again, but I think it should optionally be used (instead of issue title) for the short labels in the various views/titlebars, and also show it in the table view.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3841
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic No Series Info (Over-emphasis of Issue Title)
I was talking about this:
comicvine.gamespot.com/the-walking-dead/4050-18166/
btw, the issues' title doesn't appear in the "The details view (cover above, details below)" because of a bug.
The metada uses the volume information which most of the time matches the series' name, but not always iirc.
Let's see if more users want to comment about this.
For now I am going to consider it as low priority.
Thanks for the detailed feedback
it is really appreciated.
btw, the issues' title doesn't appear in the "The details view (cover above, details below)" because of a bug.
The metada uses the volume information which most of the time matches the series' name, but not always iirc.
Let's see if more users want to comment about this.
For now I am going to consider it as low priority.
Thanks for the detailed feedback
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Luis Ángel.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel