Skip to content
YACReader
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.

What I'd like YR would include and/o change into:

  • cloudy
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #4326 by cloudy
In no precise order:


- True OS integration: i.e. shortcuts, taskbar icon etc..: editing metadata is awfully painful without it, especially if there is still no way to import metadata from external sources

- Smart playlists + Sort Order: based both on metadata and file characteristics (filename, type, etc..), so that one can filter out the library (i.e. series name contains "yadayadayada" + "sort by publishing date" wil show every publication about "yadayadayada", chronologically).

- Separation of client and server: YACReaderLibrary and YACReaderLibraryServer shouldn't be antagonists. The first one should be just a client to the second one.

- Clients on iPad/iPhone and PC/Mac should be able to perform roughly the same actions (move, add, change, delete, mark as read etc..)

- Importing to iPad/iPhone should be optional and meant for offline reading only: right now, to mark a comicbook as read, I have to import it first, and then mark it as read... and then delete it again (I already read it, after all B) ! )

- Related to the above: it would be nice to have the ability to browse the library, start reading a book, and then importing it for offline reading directly from within the book (i.e. long-pressing shows up a "import this book now!" button along with the rest)

- Last, but not least: Ability to import ComicRack xml metadata: it is the standard de facto, there is no way around it, and integration with ComicVine it's just a palliative for so many reasons (a lot of us already scraped their whole library, CV is very focused on US publications and lacking a lot of the rest, YACReaderLibrary is lacking integration with the OS, so one cannot use shortcuts to rapidly fill in informations etc..)


I do hope this does not come as a complaining list, it does not have that intention, and I perfectly know that a lot of it would mean re-thinking the project in the overall.

I just hope this might give suggestions and ideas.


... ah, I almost forgot: When I read, I do it for hours... it'll be nice have the ability to adjust the luminosity of the screen with a simple gesture, while we're reading a comic book :-D
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by cloudy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZaibatsuRandom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #4327 by selmf

cloudy wrote: In no precise order:

- True OS integration: i.e. shortcuts, taskbar icon etc..: editing metadata is awfully painful without it, especially if there is still no way to import metadata from external sources


We have working code for the taskbar icon but it is not ready for inclusion yet. With shortcuts you mean stuff like copy and paste?

- Smart playlists + Sort Order: based both on metadata and file characteristics (filename, type, etc..), so that one can filter out the library (i.e. series name contains "yadayadayada" + "sort by publishing date" wil show every publication about "yadayadayada", chronologically).


Sort and search is indeed seriously lacking and has been for quite some time.

- Separation of client and server: YACReaderLibrary and YACReaderLibraryServer shouldn't be antagonists. The first one should be just a client to the second one.


YACReaderLibraryServer is a temporary solution we provide as a convenience until we can properly implement a client/server model.

- Clients on iPad/iPhone and PC/Mac should be able to perform roughly the same actions (move, add, change, delete, mark as read etc..)

- Importing to iPad/iPhone should be optional and meant for offline reading only: right now, to mark a comicbook as read, I have to import it first, and then mark it as read... and then delete it again (I already read it, after all B) ! )

- Related to the above: it would be nice to have the ability to browse the library, start reading a book, and then importing it for offline reading directly from within the book (i.e. long-pressing shows up a "import this book now!" button along with the rest)


Well, I'm not involved in the iOS stuff so I can't really comment on this …

- Last, but not least: Ability to import ComicRack xml metadata: it is the standard de facto, there is no way around it, and integration with ComicVine it's just a palliative for so many reasons (a lot of us already scraped their whole library, CV is very focused on US publications and lacking a lot of the rest, YACReaderLibrary is lacking integration with the OS, so one cannot use shortcuts to rapidly fill in informations etc..)


XML support is somewhere around entry three to five on my priority list and ComicRack metadata import will be one of the first things I'll tackle once I get to this.

I do hope this does not come as a complaining list, it does not have that intention, and I perfectly know that a lot of it would mean re-thinking the project in the overall.

I just hope this might give suggestions and ideas.


Don't worry about. We're sometimes slow to respond but we usually do read user suggestions and we also act on it. Still, YACReader is a project we do in our free time, so we cannot implement all the features that are suggested or we want.

My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by selmf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • cloudy
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #4329 by cloudy

selmf wrote: We have working code for the taskbar icon but it is not ready for inclusion yet. With shortcuts you mean stuff like copy and paste?


Yes, but also, for example, the ability to use the TAB key to move across the UI, or being able to press the Space Bar to activate a circled button etc...

Don't worry about. We're sometimes slow to respond but we usually do read user suggestions and we also act on it. Still, YACReader is a project we do in our free time, so we cannot implement all the features that are suggested or we want.


Sure, I perfectly understand. As I said, I can't really code, so I guess I'm trying to give my contribution by providing a conversation on topics as helpful as I can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4379 by danhackley
Replied by danhackley on topic What I'd like YR would include and/o change into:
Yes, being able to sort by Year, Publisher and other metadata is a must! The browsing tree on the left currently organises comics by folder, but we should be able to organise via our metadata. Please add! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4380 by Oucho
I share the opinion on ComicVine, it's worth nothing at all. I had created an account and started filling dozens of comics and a moderator erased everything that was not in English while encouraging me to continue my work by telling me that I could leave the titles in the language of 'origin...
No interest. :(

The database is not a very good solution, I had a problem and everything I entered manually was erased. Given the time it took me I gave up and no longer serves the library.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!