Skip to content
YACReader
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.

AVIF support

  • x412sph
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
4 years 7 months ago #6625 by x412sph
AVIF support was created by x412sph
Hi, do you have plans to add AVIF support in the pipeline?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #6626 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic AVIF support
Yes, but for now I will wait until Qt adds support for it.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #7092 by gen2brain
Replied by gen2brain on topic AVIF support
For all users who want to try AVIF right now, you can just install github.com/novomesk/qt-avif-image-plugin , it is easy to compile on Linux, so YACReader and all Qt apps that use image plugins will just work. There is also .dll for Windows in releases but I didn't try that (not sure if it is statically compiled).

The results are impressive, for example, the 75M file is down to 30M, without any difference in image quality. If I resize the comic to 1280, which I usually do, it is down to 15M! The only downside is that it is painfully slow to encode to AVIF. I used my converter here github.com/gen2brain/cbconvert to convert some comics. I plan to do that for my whole collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #7093 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic AVIF support
I'm not sure AVIF deserves so much interest. I've been testing it against JXL and this is waaaaaaaay better!

Give it a try, @gen2brain.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by robson.sobral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vagab0nd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #7094 by gen2brain
Replied by gen2brain on topic AVIF support
Thanks, I will try. For some reason, I thought JPEG XL is JXR, but it seems JXL and JXR are different formats, I had no idea. From the articles, I could find AVIF produced smaller files than JXL so I didn't bother. There is also a Qt plugin from the same author here github.com/novomesk/qt-jpegxl-image-plugin , for JXL.

The problem is I don't see any support, not even a library in my distro, there is no Qt plugin, bindings for Go etc. AVIF I can use right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #7095 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic AVIF support
Oh, JXL is great. In my tests, I've got smaller sizes using JXL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vagab0nd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7159 by momoe
Replied by momoe on topic AVIF support
I've recently discovered this format and have been running compression tests. and I wholeheartedly endorse this format, the quality/size ratios are ridiculous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7165 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic AVIF support
Sadly, AVIF is slow to compress, RAM intensive to open and errors on conversions are common.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7228 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic AVIF support
I just made some tests using a folder with 361 files, mostly of them black and white and a lot of them painted, and found interesting results.
original JPGAVIFJXL - transcodedJXL - recompressed
plain files674 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
zip653 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
rar648 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
7z642 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB

For AVIF, it's format 444, at speed 5 and quantization for color and alpha on 63.

For JXL, there's
  • a version just transcoded, no recompression, to make an original file and the JXL version look exactly the same
  • a version with quality 80 and compression 7

I used the default settings on XnConvert, instead of looking to match their quality between different files. I could try to fine tune the JXL options to match or improve the quality and size compared to AVIF, but it would required some time. Given that, I think to transcode JPEG to JXL is the safest option: you free a lot of MB and lose no quality or time testing configurations file by file or battery charge decompressing AVIF.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #7230 by gen2brain
Replied by gen2brain on topic AVIF support
It looks like the "industry" has decided to deprecate JXL www.phoronix.com/news/Chrome-Deprecating-JPEG-XL in favor of AVIF. Without support from major players, JXL can end up the same as JPEG 2000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!