Skip to content
YACReader
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting

  • Patsan86
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #6744 by Patsan86
I know it's been asked for a lot but it really feels like a bare minimum feature that any library app should be able to turn on and off and rearrange columns for EVERY SINGLE metadata field and those columns should be sortable.

I understand the limitations of doing this at the top folder level but I can see no reason why this is not being implemented at the folder contents level without performance penalty. Not having these features seriously hobbles the effectiveness of the desktop app. Personally: these lacking features are preventing me from purchasing the mobile app and adopting YAC creader as my primary comic software.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DP812, gtokeefe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #6751 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting
Is not about performance, it is a matter of implement it and make it work with the grid and full info views. Those views don’t have any header and new UI elements are needed to deal with sorting there.

How do you organize your comics? And what’s your use case for sorting? Personally I don’t need it at all, but I always like to hear about other people needs.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #7310 by rhaussmann
Replied by rhaussmann on topic Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting
I wanted to put in a request for sorting as well.

One use case is a series with the same name, but different volumes (or series start months). I would need to sort by series, volume, then issue number. This way I don't read #1 of one volume and read #2 of another. Ideally, users would be able to sort multiple columns in a particular order.

FYI, I'm using the legacy ComicRack folder structure which makes it a pain to traverse the directories. If I were going to order columns it would use these fields.

{publisher}/{series} v{volume}/{series} v{volume} #{issue}

Thanks for taking requests for work you are volunteering for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #7722 by Kinglink2
I'd like to follow this up and say that it would be useful, it's the one thing that's making me look for an alternate.

So I have a large collection of one off comics (Doujishi). What I'd really like is to sort it a few ways. Most importantly is the following:

Page Numbers. I want to choose the longer or shorter comics.

Be able to sort by rating. Or have an automated rating list that lists 1,2,3,4,5 each so I can see what I rate at each range.

Pages read (This will be harder I know): Or instead this could be another automated list like Reading. Basically I want two lists, have an automated list of reading list of unstarted comics, Also have an automated list of all the comics I've finished reading. (So I can see if I didn't finish it)

Something I'd LOVE to get is the ability to click a button and get a random comic, when I don't know which onw I want to read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #8153 by lmikey
Here’s another request for a sort by date option, which presently cripples an otherwise amazing app. You asked for the usage case: many of us would like to be able to view the most recent comics imported into the app, and there is no way to do this without checking an outside list. A lot of us would really appreciate a sort by date function and I’d be happy to contribute a donation to help make it happen.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement: just provide an option on the top line to sort either alphabetically or by date created. The info is already associated with the file (unless you strip it away on import). Sorting by date is part of almost every app that stores any media collection of books, movies, music, etc.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into this great app. Hopefully, you can make this one sorely needed change!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #8154 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting

lmikey wrote: Here’s another request for a sort by date option, which presently cripples an otherwise amazing app. You asked for the usage case: many of us would like to be able to view the most recent comics imported into the app, and there is no way to do this without checking an outside list. A lot of us would really appreciate a sort by date function and I’d be happy to contribute a donation to help make it happen.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement: just provide an option on the top line to sort either alphabetically or by date created. The info is already associated with the file (unless you strip it away on import). Sorting by date is part of almost every app that stores any media collection of books, movies, music, etc.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into this great app. Hopefully, you can make this one sorely needed change!

Thanks


For that use case you already have the recent added list.

But yeah, sorting for browsing purposes will be added and I plan to update how comics are sorted for reading too.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #8155 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting
And you can also use the search engine to filter content and show only recent imported stuff, there are some notes about it in the 9.13 release notes: www.yacreader.com/66-9-13-0-brings-new-m...ata-support-and-more

Code:
Support filtering by since/before dates in the search engine. e.g. added > 7 means recent content added since 7 days ago, and added < 30 means content added before the last 30 days.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Luis Ángel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #8168 by lmikey
Unfortunately, I just use the iOS app to store my comics. So I look forward to the sorting functionality in the iPad app!

Thanks for all your work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!