Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 1 year 11 months ago #6744

Patsan86

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 2

I know it's been asked for a lot but it really feels like a bare minimum feature that any library app should be able to turn on and off and rearrange columns for EVERY SINGLE metadata field and those columns should be sortable.

I understand the limitations of doing this at the top folder level but I can see no reason why this is not being implemented at the folder contents level without performance penalty. Not having these features seriously hobbles the effectiveness of the desktop app. Personally: these lacking features are preventing me from purchasing the mobile app and adopting YAC creader as my primary comic software.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DP812, gtokeefe

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 1 year 11 months ago #6751

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Is not about performance, it is a matter of implement it and make it work with the grid and full info views. Those views don’t have any header and new UI elements are needed to deal with sorting there.

How do you organize your comics? And what’s your use case for sorting? Personally I don’t need it at all, but I always like to hear about other people needs.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 1 year 4 months ago #7310

rhaussmann

Fresh Boarder

I wanted to put in a request for sorting as well.

One use case is a series with the same name, but different volumes (or series start months). I would need to sort by series, volume, then issue number. This way I don't read #1 of one volume and read #2 of another. Ideally, users would be able to sort multiple columns in a particular order.

FYI, I'm using the legacy ComicRack folder structure which makes it a pain to traverse the directories. If I were going to order columns it would use these fields.

{publisher}/{series} v{volume}/{series} v{volume} #{issue}

Thanks for taking requests for work you are volunteering for.

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 8 months 3 weeks ago #7722

Kinglink2

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

I'd like to follow this up and say that it would be useful, it's the one thing that's making me look for an alternate.

So I have a large collection of one off comics (Doujishi). What I'd really like is to sort it a few ways. Most importantly is the following:

Page Numbers. I want to choose the longer or shorter comics.

Be able to sort by rating. Or have an automated rating list that lists 1,2,3,4,5 each so I can see what I rate at each range.

Pages read (This will be harder I know): Or instead this could be another automated list like Reading. Basically I want two lists, have an automated list of reading list of unstarted comics, Also have an automated list of all the comics I've finished reading. (So I can see if I didn't finish it)

Something I'd LOVE to get is the ability to click a button and get a random comic, when I don't know which onw I want to read.

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 2 months 2 weeks ago #8153

lmikey

Fresh Boarder

Here’s another request for a sort by date option, which presently cripples an otherwise amazing app. You asked for the usage case: many of us would like to be able to view the most recent comics imported into the app, and there is no way to do this without checking an outside list. A lot of us would really appreciate a sort by date function and I’d be happy to contribute a donation to help make it happen.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement: just provide an option on the top line to sort either alphabetically or by date created. The info is already associated with the file (unless you strip it away on import). Sorting by date is part of almost every app that stores any media collection of books, movies, music, etc.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into this great app. Hopefully, you can make this one sorely needed change!

Thanks

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 2 months 2 weeks ago #8154

Luis Ángel

Administrator

lmikey wrote:
Here’s another request for a sort by date option, which presently cripples an otherwise amazing app. You asked for the usage case: many of us would like to be able to view the most recent comics imported into the app, and there is no way to do this without checking an outside list. A lot of us would really appreciate a sort by date function and I’d be happy to contribute a donation to help make it happen.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement: just provide an option on the top line to sort either alphabetically or by date created. The info is already associated with the file (unless you strip it away on import). Sorting by date is part of almost every app that stores any media collection of books, movies, music, etc.

I greatly appreciate all the work you put into this great app. Hopefully, you can make this one sorely needed change!

Thanks

For that use case you already have the recent added list.

But yeah, sorting for browsing purposes will be added and I plan to update how comics are sorted for reading too.
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 2 months 1 week ago #8155

Luis Ángel

Administrator

And you can also use the search engine to filter content and show only recent imported stuff, there are some notes about it in the 9.13 release notes: www.yacreader.com/66-9-13-0-brings-new-m...ata-support-and-more

Support filtering by since/before dates in the search engine. e.g. added > 7 means recent content added since 7 days ago, and added < 30 means content added before the last 30 days.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Luis Ángel.

Sort Folder Contents - Custom Columns and Sorting 2 months 1 week ago #8168

lmikey

Fresh Boarder

Unfortunately, I just use the iOS app to store my comics. So I look forward to the sorting functionality in the iPad app!

Thanks for all your work.