- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 1
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.
Two suggestions for user controls
- lasertoaster
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #10146
by lasertoaster
Two suggestions for user controls was created by lasertoaster
Love using YACReader. Version 10 is great! I have three quality of life improvements to suggest. I'm on a mac.
(1) In full screen, hitting the escape key closes the whole program. Every other program I use exits fullscreen when I hit the escape key, so even after ~7 months of use, I keep hitting escape and accidentally closing the program. Even though I know double clicking and F will toggle fullscreen, I can't escape force of habit because every program I use outside of YACReader keeps reinforcing esc to exit fullscreen. I think esc should be another redundant key to exit fullscreen by default, if only to prevent countless unintended program closures. I think people will use ctrl/⌘ Q to quit the program when they want to.
(2) Love that I can zoom in and out with + and -. But, whenever I'm zoomed in, the page will change whenever I scroll close to the margin. This basically rules out reading with >100% zoom, since you need to scroll to move around the whole page, but scrolling results in unwanted page changes 100% of the time unless you're very very careful. I think that for any size larger than fit-to-screen (i.e. any size where not all of the page is displayed at once), it should lock to that page unless you navigate intentionally with the arrow keys. That will greatly improve accessibility for people who need the zoom to read.
(3) Love the magnifying glass! I like that you can increase and decrease magnification. Another thing that would be great would be to increase or decrease the frame size. I keep reaching to use it, but I can't magnify the whole area I want to magnify.
Thanks for your work
(1) In full screen, hitting the escape key closes the whole program. Every other program I use exits fullscreen when I hit the escape key, so even after ~7 months of use, I keep hitting escape and accidentally closing the program. Even though I know double clicking and F will toggle fullscreen, I can't escape force of habit because every program I use outside of YACReader keeps reinforcing esc to exit fullscreen. I think esc should be another redundant key to exit fullscreen by default, if only to prevent countless unintended program closures. I think people will use ctrl/⌘ Q to quit the program when they want to.
(2) Love that I can zoom in and out with + and -. But, whenever I'm zoomed in, the page will change whenever I scroll close to the margin. This basically rules out reading with >100% zoom, since you need to scroll to move around the whole page, but scrolling results in unwanted page changes 100% of the time unless you're very very careful. I think that for any size larger than fit-to-screen (i.e. any size where not all of the page is displayed at once), it should lock to that page unless you navigate intentionally with the arrow keys. That will greatly improve accessibility for people who need the zoom to read.
(3) Love the magnifying glass! I like that you can increase and decrease magnification. Another thing that would be great would be to increase or decrease the frame size. I keep reaching to use it, but I can't magnify the whole area I want to magnify.
Thanks for your work
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
2 months 3 weeks ago #10147
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Two suggestions for user controls
1) Can you edit the shortcut? In the settings dialog -> Edit shortcuts -> General.
2) There is a setting to prevent that from happening, you will need to use arrows to change page if you enable it.
3) There are a bunch of shortcuts dedicated to the magnifying glass, you can modify the zoom level in the magnifying glass, it's size, and also it's shape.
Mouse wheel changes size, mouse wheel + shift changes zoom level, mouse wheel + ctrl/cmd changes height and if you use alt it will change the width. You can reset it to the default size/zoom level using / by default.
2) There is a setting to prevent that from happening, you will need to use arrows to change page if you enable it.
3) There are a bunch of shortcuts dedicated to the magnifying glass, you can modify the zoom level in the magnifying glass, it's size, and also it's shape.
Mouse wheel changes size, mouse wheel + shift changes zoom level, mouse wheel + ctrl/cmd changes height and if you use alt it will change the width. You can reset it to the default size/zoom level using / by default.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- lasertoaster
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 1
2 months 3 weeks ago #10148
by lasertoaster
Replied by lasertoaster on topic Two suggestions for user controls
Thanks for pointing those settings out, that's legit and helpful. I don't have a mouse wheel but maybe there'll be some other option for trackpad users in the future for changing the height.
I'd still softly suggest setting (1) and (2) as default behaviours. Currently, changing those shortcuts/settings feels more like a fix than a preference, especially (2). That's my suggestion anyway. Thanks for your reply and all your work.
I'd still softly suggest setting (1) and (2) as default behaviours. Currently, changing those shortcuts/settings feels more like a fix than a preference, especially (2). That's my suggestion anyway. Thanks for your reply and all your work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel