Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Page width stretch for single pages only

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 3 months ago #2018

Henki

Fresh Boarder

Hi. Would it be possible to implement a checkbox (or similar) in the options, so that the "Page width stretch" selected would only be applied for single pages? I use the option to adjust the single pages in my screen so that they're not too wide, but then when a double page pops up it becomes too small. I use the Windows version by the way.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 3 months ago #2019

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Welcome to the forum Henki!

Hate to tell you this, but there won't be any "page width stretch" function in the next release. The reason for this is that we have finally(!) implemented a universal zoom function that works with all view modes. Changing the zoom for a page will be as easy as pressing the plus or minus key. You can of course also use a fancy slider ;)
However, the zoom is different from the page stretch in that we do not save the zoom values on exit. In fact, we reset them every time you switch to a different view mode.

Your problem with the double pages probably could be solved by using "fit to height" and adjusting the zoom to a level you are comfortable with. Since double pages tend to have approximately the same height as single pages, this should save you from sudden changes ;)

Would that be enough for you or would there be a need for a "persistent zoom" in your case?
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2038

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 9

Hi, selmf.

What do you think about to implement an option to fit to the smaller size? This way we can use the most of the screen while moving just on one direction to read, horizontal or vertical. Talking about the iOS experience, which I use most, it's annoying to keep changing from fit to width to fit to height when a double page comes.

Is it to hard to recalculate the zoom on every page?

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2040

selmf

Developer

Hi robson!

Well, actually the next version of YACReader features a new "fit to page" fit mode which always shows the whole page, which is equal to fitting to the "biggest" size to the screen. Doing the same for the smaller side of a page probably could be done with a few minor modifications to the code and would need no zoom recalculations. However, that's just the barebone coding part. Getting Luis to review my changes and to create a new icon to match this new fitmode is the real challenge here :cheer:

Jokes aside, there's a lot of stuff that is doable but the devil is in the details. When we wrote the double page suppression code, we ended up rewriting a good part of the page caching code. For the zoom support that's coming we needed to change the way page sizes are calculated and fit modes are handled. Having two different zoom factors for single and double pages would be asking for trouble, implementation and interface-wise. A fit mode like you suggested would be the sane idea, but it has to be done the "right" way ;)
I will run some tests on this but I can't promise it will make it into the next version.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2041

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Robson, selmf is taking care of this kind of aspects in the reader, so I have to wait for his conclusions :)

I have been focus in YACReaderLibrary for so long, so it is really good to have selmf digging into the reader, some times that forces me to take care of some things, f.e. the new ui look update.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2043

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Oh, I understand, guys!

I guees to keep changing the zoom from page to page is the last obstacle on a fluid reading! I even "dare" to say that this should be the default zoom mode: full screen.

Thanks, guys!

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2046

selmf

Developer

"Full page" will actually be the default fit mode in the next version. It simply always scales the page so that you will see everything without scrolling. I think other readers call this "intelligent fit" or "best fit" - not sure.

Luis and I both have our prefered work areas. As I mostly use the reader and only sometimes use the library I'm of course mostly interested in improvements I benefit from ;) Still, Luis is the project owner and he has to approve/disapprove my changes and check them in once he's satisfied. That can take more than one attempt, but the resulting code when we both work together is usually quite nice :)

Regarding the feature to be able to always fit to the shorter side of a page I can see a potential use for our users but I'm a bit reluctant to add another fit mode for it. Four fit mode's good, any more and the user interface gets "bloated". We could make the fitmode configurable so users could choose whether to scale to the longest or to the shortest side of a page, but that probably wouldn't be too intuitive too. Adding features can be complicated ;)

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2047

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Cool! It's always amusing to be part of a good team.

I said "full screen", not "full page". ;-)

I didn't give to much thought about it, but if you don't mind a little brainstorm, let me say this. Maybe we can have only three zoom modes:

- fit to width;
- fit to height;
- custom and persistent, being 100% the image on 1/1px resolution;

If the first two are both enabled, the zoom fits always to "full page" (largest side). If both are disabled, the zoom fits to "full screen" (smaller side).

Too bad?

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2048

selmf

Developer

For me full screen isn't a zoom mode or fit mode. It's a viewing mode that hides all window controls.

Also:

- fitmodes are meant to be exclusive - you click one and disable all others.
- 100% the image aka native resolution is of course still available ;)

An interface has to be intuitive, especially when using icons. People should be able to grasp the idea without needing a tutorial. Implementing the fitting settings in such a way that you'd have two icons and four possible combinations would irritate too many users.

The zoom function is a good example for that. People expect a comic reader like YACReader to react on certain key combinations to change the zoom. YACReader didn't do that and that irritated people to the point to make the app unusable for them. We lost more than one potential user because of that and it can be considered an essential and "basic" feature for any reader app. Doing the actual zoom implementation wasn't hard - what took us the most time was making sure it runs smooth enough and gives proper feedback to the user when it is used.

As I currently consider the "fit to short side" option as a "nice to have but not essential" feature, my prefered strategy would be to add a configuration setting for this in the config options. You could then select your prefered fit strategy for "fit to page", either "long side" or "short side".
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by selmf.

Page width stretch for single pages only 8 years 2 months ago #2049

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

So, keep the buttons unique.

I was just trying to put some ideas on the table.

You guys know best.

Thank you!
  • Page: