Skip to content
YACReader
If you know how to improve YACReader, please tell me your ideas.

Nested reading lists

  • Eurofag
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
10 years 6 months ago #2243 by Eurofag
Nested reading lists was created by Eurofag
Right now I'm trying out a new way to organize various works.

Series / Character.

Logically, all works of a series are included in the top list then based on characters, they're also added to the sub-lists.
My problem is that when I do this and click the top list (Series) I get duplicate items for all the works that are also added to sub-lists. I believe it's because they appear once due to the top-level reading list and once again due to the sub-list. Is this intended?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #2245 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Nested reading lists
Yes, it is intended.

What behavior do you expect when you click a top level list?

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Eurofag
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #2256 by Eurofag
Replied by Eurofag on topic Nested reading lists
In sort, to see no duplicated items. :)

Just a short example.

Let say I have List A and List B nested under A.

Comic 1 is added to A
Comic 2 is added to B

So what I would expect is the following:
When I click the top level list (A ), I see Comic 1 and 2.
When I click the nested one (B ), I see Comic 2 only.

What happens now when I click the top level list (A) is Comic 1, Comic 2 then Comic 2 again.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Eurofag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #2258 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Nested reading lists
Are you sure that Comic 2 is not in both "A" and "List B"?

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Eurofag
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #2261 by Eurofag
Replied by Eurofag on topic Nested reading lists
Apparently that was the case, yes. I think my approach to assigning is to blame.

Is there an easy way to "move" comics between reading lists (if I do drag and drop, I have to remove them from the "old" list afterwards)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #2266 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Nested reading lists
No move between lists.

It seems that you are using this feature a lot. Maybe you can post a list of suggestions (with examples). I don't really use the reading lists myself, only tags, so the only way for improve then is users' feedback.

Thanks!

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Eurofag
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #2340 by Eurofag
Replied by Eurofag on topic Nested reading lists
Took me a bit longer than expected to reply to this.

The baseline scenario: I have a quite sizeable collection of manga and doujinshi. As you can expect, this means a tons of artists/circles and also a number of events where said comics (in case of doujinshi) were released. Then there is the source material they're based on (e.g. a certain game, anime, novel, whatever) and sometimes the featured characters.

I'd very much prefer to use tags for this kind of sorting (especially since for e.g. characters sometimes you may want to add more than 1).

So my current approach is the following.

I have a lot of top level reading lists then 1 additional level.

1. Event
  • C88
  • C89
  • COMIC1☆9
  • COMIC1☆10
  • etc etc
2. Artist
  • list of artists
3. List of source material (1 reading list for each)
  • nested reading lists for characters(if applicable)

See this screenshot.


There are some problems with this approach.
  1. Top level lists can grow indefinitely because I need to tackle source material at top level (so I can nest characters underneath).
  2. No auto-sorting based on name (which is there for tags)
  3. No easy movement between lists
  4. Also the "issue" that I brought up in the OP of this topic (but this can be remedied)

As you see, for me tag nesting (to 3 levels) would be the most ideal approach. Then I'd do something along the lines:

Events (top level)
-list of events (nested level 1)

Artists (top level)
-list of artists (nested level 1)

Source (top level)
-List of source material (nested level 1)
---List of characters for each (nested level 2)

I tried sorting stuff into folders but that's extremely challenging (the only possible working scenario would be based on source material).

So that's how I use reading lists. Tags are used for misc stuff like "Crap quality - replace", "Full color", "Translated" etc etc.

What do you think? Do you see a possible better approach?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Eurofag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #2342 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Nested reading lists
Yeah, my idea of tags is the same as you are using them.

I have created reading lists so the users could compose list where they can determine the reading order, mixing comics from different series. This is really useful when you try to follow crossover events, Marvel's Civil War f.e.

I would like to add smart lists in future releases. That could solve your problem for artists, so you can create a smart list per author and forget about moving comics manually...

I'll try to improve reading lists usability too.

I would like to hear from other users too. What do they miss or what the would improve about reading lists.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eurofag

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Eurofag
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
More
10 years 5 months ago #2343 by Eurofag
Replied by Eurofag on topic Nested reading lists
Sounds great!

Regarding tag, my only problem is that I get too many of them because I can't nest (if I extend my reading lists, they cover my 27" mac 3 times, 30+ artists 30+ source material, multiple characters in each). Sorting is a bit of a hassle but hey, that's something having a collection comes with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!