- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for Android users
YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3)
- QubaXR
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
1 year 7 months ago #9333
by QubaXR
YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3) was created by QubaXR
Hi,
I own and use YACReader on both iOS and Android devices and love it. I would love to be able to use it on my VR headset as well - but the Meta Quest 3 store does not have the app.
I thought I'd be able to sideload the APK using a program like SideQuest - but I cannot find a proper, legal way of downloading it anywhere.
Am I missing something? Is it possible to get a legal copy?
Perhaps somebody already tried and succeeded?
I own and use YACReader on both iOS and Android devices and love it. I would love to be able to use it on my VR headset as well - but the Meta Quest 3 store does not have the app.
I thought I'd be able to sideload the APK using a program like SideQuest - but I cannot find a proper, legal way of downloading it anywhere.
Am I missing something? Is it possible to get a legal copy?
Perhaps somebody already tried and succeeded?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
1 year 7 months ago #9335
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3)
It can’t be done legally, the only way to get the Android app is through the Google Play store or the Amazon App Store. Since you already own the app go ahead if you find any method to make it work.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: QubaXR
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- quadnary_koala
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 2
1 year 7 months ago #9336
by quadnary_koala
Replied by quadnary_koala on topic YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3)
I originally wanted this as well, but have had a good experience streaming the desktop app from my PC both with Moonlight (sideloaded) and Virtual Desktop. Scrolling with the quest controller analog stick doesn't work well at all, it zips right through pages uncontrollably. You could use a keyboard, but my preferred experience is to use VD, and launch YACReader through Steam so that I can use steam input with a gamepad. The DPad and face buttons are mapped to arrow keys to flip pages, the analog sticks and triggers are mapped to virtual mouse and left/right click, and the bumpers are mapped to the F key to toggle fullscreen. With both the DPad and face buttons mapped to arrow keys or pgup/pgdown, you can hold the controller in either hand. That leaves your other hand free for a quest controller that you can use to resize and drag the screen around, which you'll need when two-page spreads put dialog boxes outside your central FOV. Setting YACReader's page background color to black and using the VD void environment makes the letterboxing from viewing portait pages on a widescreen virtual monitor blend into the background.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel, QubaXR
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- QubaXR
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 0
1 year 7 months ago #9339
by QubaXR
Replied by QubaXR on topic YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3)
Thank you so much for that response. You've saved me hours of potential headache.
I have previously sideloaded another comic reader that I had the APK for (PerfectViewer) and experienced the very same problem - slightest tilt of the joystick causing random amount of pages being skipped. Sounds like YAC would fare similarly.
I considered streaming from the desktop, but the whole idea for me was to let the PC rest (or do other tasks like rendering) at night while I read my comics in VR. I guess I may just pass on the whole thing and stick to an iPad
I have previously sideloaded another comic reader that I had the APK for (PerfectViewer) and experienced the very same problem - slightest tilt of the joystick causing random amount of pages being skipped. Sounds like YAC would fare similarly.
I considered streaming from the desktop, but the whole idea for me was to let the PC rest (or do other tasks like rendering) at night while I read my comics in VR. I guess I may just pass on the whole thing and stick to an iPad
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- sekii
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 10
- Thank you received: 0
1 year 1 week ago #9657
by sekii
Replied by sekii on topic YACReader APK download? (Sideloading to Quest 3)
Hi,
Maybe a bit late to answer but in case others are interested...
since Luis said it is fine if we find a way, I tried couple of things and was able to make it work but it isn't a perfect solution.
What I did is install antisplit M and extracted yacreader apk from phone then sideloaded to quest. To send file from phone to quest I used localsend (works as long as you are on same local network)
Yacreader app works but If text from your comics is really small it isn't easy to read correctly but others comics with big enough text works nicely
What I will try next is to download comics from the app then use livro (meta store) to read as you can enlarge page more and you also get a vr experience as it open and turn pages just like a book. Haven't tested much but livro is said to be compatible with CBZ PDF but cbr isn't stated (haven't tried yet)
If for some reasons downloading threw app doesn't work, I will use some FTP client to download from my server to my quest
So yeah yacreader app works but obviously not designed for that, would work better if android app had same feature as iOS app (can't recall the exact name of this feature, the one that enable to identify and slide image per image instead of whole page
Maybe a bit late to answer but in case others are interested...
since Luis said it is fine if we find a way, I tried couple of things and was able to make it work but it isn't a perfect solution.
What I did is install antisplit M and extracted yacreader apk from phone then sideloaded to quest. To send file from phone to quest I used localsend (works as long as you are on same local network)
Yacreader app works but If text from your comics is really small it isn't easy to read correctly but others comics with big enough text works nicely
What I will try next is to download comics from the app then use livro (meta store) to read as you can enlarge page more and you also get a vr experience as it open and turn pages just like a book. Haven't tested much but livro is said to be compatible with CBZ PDF but cbr isn't stated (haven't tried yet)
If for some reasons downloading threw app doesn't work, I will use some FTP client to download from my server to my quest
So yeah yacreader app works but obviously not designed for that, would work better if android app had same feature as iOS app (can't recall the exact name of this feature, the one that enable to identify and slide image per image instead of whole page
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.