- Posts: 12
- Thank you received: 1
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.
Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol
- Bully FU
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
6 years 11 months ago #4837
by Bully FU
Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol was created by Bully FU
I was having issues importing some books recently and thought maybe it was the special characters in the file folders that I add. I looked on my desktop version of the app and noticed that the / symbol wasn't showing up in the program that the iPad app speaks to. I'll attach screenshots showing what happens. I would get error messages whenever I tried importing comics contained in folders with those characters so I tried just reading the books rather than importing them. When I tried reading them I got another error. That's when I tried removing that symbol and everything worked fine.
Part of my issue is that a ton of my books have that symbol as I put the date in a lot of my comic filenames. It would take forever to go through and find all of them. There wasn't an issue until one of the recent updates that took place within the last 2 weeks. Everything worked fine prior those. .
Instead of showing the / symbol, it changes it to a : symbol. I use the f for dating things. Here are screenshots from both my computer and iPad showing how it changes the / to : and then the error it gives you.
Let me know if you have any questions.
iPad - Error Importing Book
imgur.com/u5Q0YIu
iPad - Folder containing books (You can see how it has the : instead of /.
imgur.com/ENmrcKn
iPad -iPad - Error Trying To Read
https:
//imgur.com/0LBkDRD
iOS/My Computer - YAC Library - older (Left Side)
imgur.com/egqM39c
YAC Library - Folder (Left Side)
imgur.com/Qnw1Vb6
YAC Library - Folder (Middle)
imgur.com/ZQxvgRz
I thought uploading the images to Imgur would be easier to keep track of than posting all of them here. All should work without issue.
Part of my issue is that a ton of my books have that symbol as I put the date in a lot of my comic filenames. It would take forever to go through and find all of them. There wasn't an issue until one of the recent updates that took place within the last 2 weeks. Everything worked fine prior those. .
Instead of showing the / symbol, it changes it to a : symbol. I use the f for dating things. Here are screenshots from both my computer and iPad showing how it changes the / to : and then the error it gives you.
Let me know if you have any questions.
iPad - Error Importing Book
imgur.com/u5Q0YIu
iPad - Folder containing books (You can see how it has the : instead of /.
imgur.com/ENmrcKn
iPad -iPad - Error Trying To Read
https:
//imgur.com/0LBkDRD
iOS/My Computer - YAC Library - older (Left Side)
imgur.com/egqM39c
YAC Library - Folder (Left Side)
imgur.com/Qnw1Vb6
YAC Library - Folder (Middle)
imgur.com/ZQxvgRz
I thought uploading the images to Imgur would be easier to keep track of than posting all of them here. All should work without issue.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
6 years 11 months ago #4838
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol
/ is not allowed in file names, when you set it in macos through finder it is using a higher level api, but it can cause problems is some legacy code
/ and : aren't usually safe to use...
Since YACReader is cross platform it has to be careful with the characters it handles in paths. When the desktop version sends information to the iOS client it always uses / to separate path components, so it doesn't know if folder/filename/date/.cbz is a folder followed by a file or various folders in a path...
There are apps that are able to rename files in batches, you should be able to rename everything easily with one of those app. In windows I can recommend ReNamer.
/ and : aren't usually safe to use...
Since YACReader is cross platform it has to be careful with the characters it handles in paths. When the desktop version sends information to the iOS client it always uses / to separate path components, so it doesn't know if folder/filename/date/.cbz is a folder followed by a file or various folders in a path...
There are apps that are able to rename files in batches, you should be able to rename everything easily with one of those app. In windows I can recommend ReNamer.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Bully FU
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 12
- Thank you received: 1
6 years 11 months ago #4839
by Bully FU
Replied by Bully FU on topic Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol
Can you recommend one for Mac? I find this odd because I didn't have issue until recently. I don't have many files with those characters in them, it's the folders mainly. I have been working on renaming them with dashes instead since those don't seem to cause and issues, - that symbol.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
6 years 11 months ago #4840
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol
It doesn't matter if it is on the file name or folder, the whole path is sent to the iOS app. I didn't change anything in the source code that could cause this, as far as I know this has always been a limitation.
I don't know any free app for macos, sorry.
I don't know any free app for macos, sorry.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Bully FU
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 12
- Thank you received: 1
6 years 11 months ago #4841
by Bully FU
Replied by Bully FU on topic Error Importing & Reading Comics with "/" symbol
All good. At least I know the cause now so I can avoid it in the future. I thought I an into a bug but it's more of a general error that isn't anyone's fault and is easy enough to work around. I appreciate the responses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel