Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.

Can't browse server

  • DishpanAlley
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #4904 by DishpanAlley
Can't browse server was created by DishpanAlley
I use Windows 10 & just got an iPad. I see my comics in Library no problem (comment: why are folders only visible in the folder browser)? Server is setup and active, at least according to the server settings.

Scanned the barcode in the iPad app. The 'default server' is showing the correct IP address & port. But when I hit 'Browse' nothing happens, the Library page stays blank.

If I try to go to 192.168.1.215:57131 it tries for a bit and then shows the error

'The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.1.215 is taking too long to respond.'

I thought maybe it was a firewall issue so I set a rule in Windows Firewall to allow tcp traffic in AND out of port 57131 on private networks, and then restarted my computer.

Why isn't this working? (And why aren't folders visible in the grid view?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4906 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Can't browse server
Wrong subforum...this is for problems with the forum.

connection problems are always because the wrong data being used or the firewall.

Try this:

* Open the server settings dialog and set a port manually, close YACReaderLibrary, open it again and check that the port you set is still being used.
* Use a browser in your windows machine to connect to the server and see if it is working. 127.0.0.1:port
* Disable the firewall completely, just to be sure that it is not the culprit....

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • DishpanAlley
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #4907 by DishpanAlley
Replied by DishpanAlley on topic Can't browse server
When I go to http://127.0.0.1:57131 I can see the name of the library folder, and then when clicking on it I can navigate comics. I'll try disabling the firewall and see if that changes anything.

(I notice in the browser that the grid view includes folders...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4908 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Can't browse server
The remote brower in iOS uses a grid view with folders and comics, it is a native view and not that web view view you see in the browser.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • DishpanAlley
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #4909 by DishpanAlley
Replied by DishpanAlley on topic Can't browse server
Dammit - it was user error. Sorry for wasting your time! In the iPad app when I clicked 'Browse' it went to a page titled Libraries. Under 'Libraries' it says 'Comics' in smaller, unbolded text. That's the name of my library and I didn't think to click it. After clicking it, I see options to browse Folders, etc. And the grid view is showing Folders, which is what I hoped for.

I have a couple more questions:

1) Will YACLibrary start with Windows? I don't see anything for it in Task Manager > Startup.
2) Will it remember the port or does it randomize it each time?
3) When I open something after browsing in the library, it does not get downloaded to the iPad Library - is that correct?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4910 by selmf
Replied by selmf on topic Can't browse server

Luis Ángel wrote: Wrong subforum...this is for problems with the forum.


--> moved

My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4911 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Can't browse server
1) Put a link to YACReaderLibrary here: C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup then in the settings "enable close to system tray" and "start minimized"

2) That only happens if the default port is used by other app, just open the server settings and set any unused port

3) The default action while browsing is "read remotely" and it doesn't use any space in your device. For importing do a long tap.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: DishpanAlley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!