Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.

Import speed

More
5 years 11 months ago #5498 by itotm
Import speed was created by itotm
Hi, is there any option to optimize the speed of the import from the library? When I copy files from the server via SMB or WebDAV I get 30-40 MB/s, while inside YACReader the maximum speed is about 3 MB/s.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #5499 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Import speed
I have to look into this, it shouldn't be that slow, but it really depends on how fast the server is able to process the files. What are the specs of the machine you are running YACReaderLibrary in?

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #5500 by itotm
Replied by itotm on topic Import speed
The server is a virtual machine with Win10, 6GB of RAM and 4 cores CPU (i7 3770, the vm has access to all the cores) and the client is an iPad Air. I did some other test:
- using the import function from the YACReder library, the max speed I can reach is 6.5 MB/s
- using the import function, but with the Files option and an app that uses SMB (FileExplorer), I reach 13 MB/s
- using other methods to copy files (SMB or WebDAV directly, with FileExploer and other apps), I reach 16 MB/s
- I reached 40 MB/s only positioning the iPad near the wifi router, so I can say that normally the maximum speed is around 15-16 MB/s.
All was done from the same server.
So, the difference is not that big (sorry), but I think that some improvement is possible (I'm a developer so I always think that an improvement is possible :-), unfortunately I use C#, I looked at your repo but I don't have tools to use it).
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #5501 by selmf
Replied by selmf on topic Import speed
I'm not quite up to speed with the current state of the server code, but from what I can remember a speedup likely could be had by adding more parallelism for file formats that are suited for it and smarter parsing/decompression of files that are not. With the current implementation and the intrinsic unsuitedness of many archive formats to parallel processing the speed of the server is limited by the single core speed of the cpu.

My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!