- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for Linux users.
Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
8 years 10 months ago #3444
by LobsterJ
Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble was created by LobsterJ
Love the YACreader software for my work Mac and PC, would love to read comics on my travel Ubuntu MATE machine.
It's i386, updated all the time, with Gdebi installed. I downloaded both 8.5.0 and the 9.0 beta that Luis suggested, and both times I am faced with inability to install, based on incomplete libraries, libunarr I believe. I try my best to keep knowledgeable, but I am lost at this point. I used sudo apt-get install libunarr, and anything else I could think of...
I acknowledge this is probably a lack of Ubuntu knowledge rather than a problem with YACReader, can some one lay it out for me?
Jason
It's i386, updated all the time, with Gdebi installed. I downloaded both 8.5.0 and the 9.0 beta that Luis suggested, and both times I am faced with inability to install, based on incomplete libraries, libunarr I believe. I try my best to keep knowledgeable, but I am lost at this point. I used sudo apt-get install libunarr, and anything else I could think of...
I acknowledge this is probably a lack of Ubuntu knowledge rather than a problem with YACReader, can some one lay it out for me?
Jason
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #3447
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Ubuntu doesn't package libunarr, so you have to get it from my repository on the Opensuse build service:
build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/home...sitory=xUbuntu_17.04
Another option would be adding the build service as a repository, that way you'd automatically receive updates I do on the package. Please note that libunarr is only available on the stable repo, not on yacreader beta, so you'd have to add both if you want to use the beta repo
build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/home...sitory=xUbuntu_17.04
Another option would be adding the build service as a repository, that way you'd automatically receive updates I do on the package. Please note that libunarr is only available on the stable repo, not on yacreader beta, so you'd have to add both if you want to use the beta repo
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by selmf.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 10 months ago #3449
by LobsterJ
Replied by LobsterJ on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Selmf,
So, I'll go download the .deb file for libunarr from the link you have provided, install it first, then the yacreader .deb file? Or every single one of the files you have linked to -- a folder with numerous xubuntu 17.04 files, including _buildenv
> libunarr-dev_1.0.1-1.1_i386.deb ~ this one? Goodness, I hope it's that easy. I'll report back tomorrow AM
I guess you're going to package a PPA for 18.04 (I hope!)
Jason
So, I'll go download the .deb file for libunarr from the link you have provided, install it first, then the yacreader .deb file? Or every single one of the files you have linked to -- a folder with numerous xubuntu 17.04 files, including _buildenv
> libunarr-dev_1.0.1-1.1_i386.deb ~ this one? Goodness, I hope it's that easy. I'll report back tomorrow AM
I guess you're going to package a PPA for 18.04 (I hope!)
Jason
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 10 months ago #3451
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
I'm already providing repositories with all dependencies needed to install YACReader, so there is no need to for a PPA. You just have to follow the instructions provided here:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...mf&package=yacreader
If you want to use the 9.0.0 beta version, you also have to add this repo:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...ta&package=yacreader
Yes, two repositories in this case. The beta repo just contains YACReader, not the dependencies, so you need the stable repo too in this case.
Of course you can also download and install the .deb files manually
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...mf&package=yacreader
If you want to use the 9.0.0 beta version, you also have to add this repo:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...ta&package=yacreader
Yes, two repositories in this case. The beta repo just contains YACReader, not the dependencies, so you need the stable repo too in this case.
Of course you can also download and install the .deb files manually
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 10 months ago #3452
by LobsterJ
Replied by LobsterJ on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Selmf,
I tried that one first! I recognize this format, using the Terminal, and have installed many programs in this manner. Copy, paste, double check it all came, and allow permissions with my authorization. I got some push back on this one in particular, I thought maybe it was the signature for 17.04 on my 17.10 system? I'll try it again tomorrow AM, in addition to installing the libunarr.deb
I'd be happy with just YACReader 8.5 working in the short term
I tried that one first! I recognize this format, using the Terminal, and have installed many programs in this manner. Copy, paste, double check it all came, and allow permissions with my authorization. I got some push back on this one in particular, I thought maybe it was the signature for 17.04 on my 17.10 system? I'll try it again tomorrow AM, in addition to installing the libunarr.deb
I'd be happy with just YACReader 8.5 working in the short term
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 10 months ago #3454
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
I'm not sure if it is the signature. Still, I have added Ubuntu 17.10 to the build targets so you can try this.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 10 months ago #3455
by LobsterJ
Replied by LobsterJ on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Success with the .deb installers, first the libunarr, then the 8.5 installer. Thanks
I'll install the beta this week and report back any bugs.
I'll look at the PPA as well, get my pal to install it on her 64bit laptop. Thanks for the help Selmf! Now to read my Captain Marvel Adventures on the subway
I'll look at the PPA as well, get my pal to install it on her 64bit laptop. Thanks for the help Selmf! Now to read my Captain Marvel Adventures on the subway
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 10 months ago #3459
by LobsterJ
Replied by LobsterJ on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Sooo... now that I have 8.5 correctly installed, can I also install the beta side by side? I'll install the dev libunarr, then the beta. Will it interfere with my 8.5 stable version? I'd love to help in some manner, even if only to corraborbate bugs.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
8 years 10 months ago #3460
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Side by side doesn't work. The beta will replace the current version and the final version will replace the beta once it is finished. Generally the beta should be stable enough for everyday usage, so there's no harm in using it.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- LobsterJ
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
8 years 10 months ago #3463
by LobsterJ
Replied by LobsterJ on topic Ubuntu MATE 17.10 .deb i386 trouble
Stable enough? Good enough for me now that I vaguely know what I'm up to. I'll report back end of week. Thanks for the heads-up about 8.5 being eaten by the beta. I would have been upset not knowing that
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel