Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for Linux users.

Install a VPN for remote access to your YAC server

  • middle_pickup
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 9 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #8099 by middle_pickup
Recently I decided that I wanted to try my novice hand at installing a VPN at home so that I could remotely access my YAC server from outside the house. After a little searching online, and a few hours of effort I got my raspberry pi up and running with PiVPN , and dynamic DNS support through duckDNS . Both are free, and I've been using this setup to connect to my YAC server outside the home. It's working great, and I definitely recommend the same setup for others with a large library of comics or manga.

After posting about this in the discord I was asked to write a guide for others who want to do the same. However, the guides I followed on wundertech.net are already written quite well. Instead, I thought I would create this forum post with links to the two guides I followed as a place where other users who might have questions as they follow the steps can ask freely. I'm glad to give any help I can.

In order to follow these guides you will need a raspberry pi , and a working internet connection at home. You will also need to be somewhat familiar with using a command line, but the guide is pretty easy to follow for noobs. If I did it correctly, you surely can. You also need to be able to access the admin settings of your home router to forward the ports needed for the piVPN server. This is all covered pretty well in the guides, but for those with questions don't be afraid to ask here. I'll be glad to help.

The first guide shows you how to set up DDNS so that your home's public IP is always accessible on your remote devices.

The second guide follows the steps to install the piVPN server, and connect your remote devices like an iPad, or laptop to the VPN.

Each guide includes a video that explains some of the basics, but the written guide is much more detailed. I recommend watching the video as a preface only, and then reading each step as you progress. Good luck!

If you decide to use duckDNS, please consider donating to their Patreon if you are financially able.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by middle_pickup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: er45be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!