Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Batch rename a genre for various different comics?

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8623

ilikebeans

Fresh Boarder

Hi, I've been using YACReader for a while now and find it extremely helpful in organizing my massive collection.
However, when I started using this I didn't properly label the genre for various comics correctly, is there a way to open the metadata in like a text editor, such as Notepad++, so I can batch rename the genre to something else?

For example: "Genre 1, Comedy, Genre 3, Genre 4" to "Genre 1, Satire, Genre 3, Genre 4"

I have around 100-130 comics with this wrong genre label, and I can't just select all of them and change it or else the other metadata, including the other genres, will be overwritten, too.

I thought I'd ask to see if there was a quick way to do this before I go ahead and do each manually, which would be extremely arduous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8624

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 582

You can probably use the search engine for this. Type the genre (or you can be more specific typing genre:whatever_you_want_to_change) then select all the comics in the result and edit them to override the genre. You many need to repeat the process because the search engine limits the results to 500 comics.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8625

ilikebeans

Fresh Boarder

But wouldn't doing so also overwrite the other metadata?
Like the other genres, title, author, volume, etc? I only want to change the single genre while leaving everything else already recorded alone.

By the way, appreciate the speedy reply!

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8626

ilikebeans

Fresh Boarder

I tried that with 2 comics but it does remove all the other metadata recorded, so doing that would essentially be resetting the slate blank for all of those comics.
Is there no way to just rename the genre alone so all comics with say the genre "comic" get turned into "satire" without affecting anything else?

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8627

Luis Ángel

Administrator

No, it doesn't work like that, when editing multiple comics only the fields modified are written to the DB. I have tested it and it worked as expected...
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 3 weeks ago #8630

ilikebeans

Fresh Boarder

I know that the other fields remain intact, but the other genres listed in the same field ARE overwritten.

For example, if one comic has "Adventure, Comedy, Romance." and another has "Comedy, Drama, Mystery." when you select both of these comics and edit the genre field to say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", the end result will be that only the new entry gets written onto all selected comics — meaning all the selected comics genre field will now say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", whilst the previous entries are overwritten, isn't that so? Because I don't believe I'm doing it wrong...

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 3 weeks ago #8631

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Yeah, if you have more than one genre then it won't work. The database is sqlite3, so you may use some tool like SQLiteDatabaseBrowse and execute some SQL queries to update the strings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilikebeans

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 3 weeks ago #8632

ilikebeans

Fresh Boarder

Thank you very much for your assistance, this solution worked out perfectly for my needs.
You saved me hours of manually adjusting all the mistaken genres!

Batch rename a genre for various different comics? 2 months 3 weeks ago #8633

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Great!