Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for Windows users.

Initial library stops saving books

  • Drybonz
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 7 months ago #1149 by Drybonz
Initial library stops saving books was created by Drybonz
I've used most comic readers and managers on most platforms. I was surprised I had not heard about YACReader until now and was looking forward to trying it out. My first impression is that it looks like there is a lot of great potential here. I also purchased the iOS version.

My biggest problem is that my library (I have a large library on my PC) stops saving books after the first few letters of the alphabet. If I stop the library creation most of the books are not there and I have to start it over, but it still does not save them to the library.

I also notice that the library updating is fairly slow. That's ok, but it would be nice if it loaded in the background so a user could get into the library while it continues to load in the background. Most media players do it this way and it allows you to start quickly.

On the iOS version I would really like to see an option to make the settings button in the top-left corner of the reader 100% transparent/invisible instead of partially visible. I would prefer not to see it. Once I know that I can tap there to open the advanced options in the reader I don't need a reminder that it is there, and just prefer not to see it at all while reading.

I was really impressed with the "go to flow" in the PC reader. Very fast and smooth. I don't usually use the page selectors much in comic readers, but I could see myself using this one a lot because it is so well done.

I was also happy to see the option to read comics from your PC/wifi network without having to wait for the entire comic to download. I have only seen this "streaming" feature on one other mobile comic reader (which has been my favorite for some time). I think it is a very strong feature for your mobile reader.

These are my initial impressions... I hope it is helpful. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the apps.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #1150 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Initial library stops saving books

Drybonz wrote: I've used most comic readers and managers on most platforms. I was surprised I had not heard about YACReader until now and was looking forward to trying it out. My first impression is that it looks like there is a lot of great potential here. I also purchased the iOS version.


I hope you will enjoy it. Thank you for purchasing the iOS version. Welcome to the fourm.

Drybonz wrote: My biggest problem is that my library (I have a large library on my PC) stops saving books after the first few letters of the alphabet. If I stop the library creation most of the books are not there and I have to start it over, but it still does not save them to the library.

I also notice that the library updating is fairly slow. That's ok, but it would be nice if it loaded in the background so a user could get into the library while it continues to load in the background. Most media players do it this way and it allows you to start quickly.


If you stop the library creation, YACReaderLibrary will show you the current imported comics and folders. An update would start to add all the remaining content. Are you sure that updates are not adding new content? Maybe it is taking long time to complete the process (How big is your library?)

You probably are right about the creation/updating in the background, but it should have to wait until after 8.0 release.

Drybonz wrote: On the iOS version I would really like to see an option to make the settings button in the top-left corner of the reader 100% transparent/invisible instead of partially visible. I would prefer not to see it. Once I know that I can tap there to open the advanced options in the reader I don't need a reminder that it is there, and just prefer not to see it at all while reading.


You can do this. Tap on the settings 'cog' (while you are reading), then tap on the 'wrench' (left bottom corner). You should see the reading settings , turn off the switch "Show options 'cog' while reading". Now, you have to use a long tap for showing the options.

Drybonz wrote: I was really impressed with the "go to flow" in the PC reader. Very fast and smooth. I don't usually use the page selectors much in comic readers, but I could see myself using this one a lot because it is so well done.

I was also happy to see the option to read comics from your PC/wifi network without having to wait for the entire comic to download. I have only seen this "streaming" feature on one other mobile comic reader (which has been my favorite for some time). I think it is a very strong feature for your mobile reader.

These are my initial impressions... I hope it is helpful. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the apps.

Thanks.


I am glad to hear that your are liking the app so much, thank you very much for all the feedback, it is really appreciated.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drybonz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Drybonz
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 7 months ago #1151 by Drybonz
Replied by Drybonz on topic Initial library stops saving books

Luis Ángel wrote: If you stop the library creation, YACReaderLibrary will show you the current imported comics and folders. An update would start to add all the remaining content. Are you sure that updates are not adding new content? Maybe it is taking long time to complete the process (How big is your library?)

You probably are right about the creation/updating in the background, but it should have to wait until after 8.0 release.

...

You can do this. Tap on the settings 'cog' (while you are reading), then tap on the 'wrench' (left bottom corner). You should see the reading settings , turn off the switch "Show options 'cog' while reading". Now, you have to use a long tap for showing the options.


Thanks for the reply. I allowed the library to completely finish its update process with no interruptions last night but it will not save my entire library. It only saves up to letter "E" alphabetically. My library is large (about 300gb), which is not uncommon for guys that have been using ComicRack, tagging with ComicVine, etc.

...

Oh, I see that option to remove the cog... it's quite obvious too, I'm sorry I missed it before. Very nice... thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #1152 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Initial library stops saving books
300GB of comics is not so big. I have tested YACReaderLibrary with more than 1TB. There must be any other issue. Depending on your hardware the time for creating a library is going to vary, but for a collection like that it should be ready in 40min.

Could you pack this folder 'C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\YACReader\YACReaderLibrary' and send it to me?

Do you have your library in an external hard drive or a NAS?

Thank you for your help.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drybonz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Drybonz
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 7 months ago #1153 by Drybonz
Replied by Drybonz on topic Initial library stops saving books
Yeah, I have read several guys on other forums saying their libraries are over 1 TB as well.

My library is on a local, internal drive.

I'm wondering, now, if it might be because I had stopped the updating and was testing the stream to mobile features while it resumed?

I'm always a bit nervous about sending out files from my computer, but I can send them to you if you think it would help. Please let me know the address.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #1154 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Initial library stops saving books
Please, use the 'contact' section of this web. You can see what there is in the files you are going to send, go to that folder and open them with a plain text editor (f.e. notepad)

Uhm, I am not sure about what is going on here. You can try to delete the library and create it again, just be sure that the .yacreaderlibrary folder in your main 'Comics' folder is gone before you try to create the library again.

In any case, you have found a bug and I would like to solve it before 8.0 is released.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Drybonz
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #1156 by Drybonz
Replied by Drybonz on topic Initial library stops saving books

Luis Ángel wrote: Uhm, I am not sure about what is going on here. You can try to delete the library and create it again, just be sure that the .yacreaderlibrary folder in your main 'Comics' folder is gone before you try to create the library again.


Hi Luis... I actually decided to do this earlier. I deleted the folder and then library in the app and started fresh, allowing the library to update A-Z while I was out of the house and I was pleased to see that it saved all my books to the library properly. So it looks like the problem had something to do with interrupting the library update.

On a side note... is there any way already, or could we have the option to store the .yacreaderlibrary folder somewhere besides our main comics directory on the PC... maybe in the appdata>local or something?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Drybonz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #1163 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Initial library stops saving books
That folder should be hidden by default, for some reason YACReaderLibrary fails to put the right attributes to it. But you can do it manually (right button, properties, "general" tab, check "hidden".

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Drybonz
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 6 months ago #1195 by Drybonz
Replied by Drybonz on topic Initial library stops saving books

Luis Ángel wrote: That folder should be hidden by default, for some reason YACReaderLibrary fails to put the right attributes to it. But you can do it manually (right button, properties, "general" tab, check "hidden".


Just wanted to mention that after manually hiding this folder it is still showing up in my library in other readers. Would be great if it could be stored in another folder, or one its own somewhere. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #1196 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Initial library stops saving books
@Drybonz, probably in the next months I will have to rethink some aspects of YACReader's libraries. I'll se then how this problem can me managed. But this is not going to happen in the short term.

BTW, there were a bug affecting the creation and updates of libraries. It was causing a file descriptors leak, so at certain point YACReaderLibrary stopped adding comics to the library. If anyone is having this issue, please, close YACReaderLibrary, open it, and update the library, repeat the process until you have all your comics added. Sorry. The fix will be available in 8.0 beta2+

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!