Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Windows 10 "open with YAC" problem

Windows 10 "open with YAC" problem 8 years 4 months ago #1933

tristanthorn

Fresh Boarder

Hi
I've been using YACReader for years, and I'm a fan. Thanks for everything.

Recently I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, and have noticed a small problem.
In windows 7, I could open a zipped file of images (rar, zip, etc) in YAC by right-clicking the file then "open in // YACReader".

However this is much more difficult in windows 10. Right-clicking a zipped file gives this menu:
snag.gy/XVXav.jpg

You can choose YACReader from the "choose another app" sub-menu, waiting for the next screen to load then choosing YAC, but this all takes time.

So my question is... how can I make win10 "remember" YACReader, and add it to its initial open with menu? Other programs get added automatically once you choose them once (photoshop, etc). But I have to find YAC from a sub-menu everytime. I'm not sure if this is a win10 problem, or if YACReader lacks some kind of ability for windows to recognise it as a program to open rar files.

The only solutions I can think of would be to make YACReader the default program from zip, rar, etc files; or converting all zipped files to their "comic" counterpart (eg. rar to cbr); but I'd rather not do this if I can help it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by tristanthorn.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows 10 "open with YAC" problem 8 years 4 months ago #1934

Qulox

Senior Boarder

Thank you received: 8

I have the same problem, I even tried using this guide: superuser.com/questions/981962/manually-...n-with-in-windows-10 using the "Default Programs Editor" program but it still doesn't appear in the open with menu.

Edit: I've also tried this other guide (the first answer): superuser.com/questions/690106/add-items...th-list-in-windows-8 , and adding the string value "C:\Program Files (x86)\YACReader\YACReader.exe.ApplicationCompany""YACReader" seems like it made it work now in .rar and .7z files but not in .zip files.

Edit2: It works now! I had to use both guides, first I removed the YACReader entries using the first program, then I added the registry string and rebooted. Then I opened a rar, zip and 7z file with YACReader using the open with dialog and re-added YACReader to zip files using the program. Everything seems to be working fine now.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Qulox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tristanthorn

Windows 10 "open with YAC" problem 8 years 4 months ago #1936

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Thanks Qulox, for sharing your solution.

I will update the installer for fixing this.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qulox, tristanthorn

Windows 10 "open with YAC" problem 8 years 3 months ago #1945

tristanthorn

Fresh Boarder

Thank you Qulox, your solution worked. That registry edit line was the key!