Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader beta 8.0

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1483

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Thank you very much for doing this test Xukkorz. I ran some tests on my own machine and it looks like we're having a thread leak in YACReader. I am not sure if this is what is causing your overheating problems, since the bug is also present in version 7.2, but it is definitely an ugly bug that needs fixing. To see if it is connected with your heat problems, could you please run these tests?

1. Open YACReader without YACReaderLibrary running
2. Check the amount of CPU usage and the number of threads without a loaded comic
3. Open a comic in YACReader and do the same check
4. Open another comic either by scrolling into the next comic or manually
5. Also do the CPU and thread count check

It is important that you give YACReader a little time to complete the load of the comic in the background, or the compression backend will screw with your results.

@Luis:

On my machine, YACReader leaks approximately one thread per comic opened. The bug is also present in YACReaderLibrary if you use remote reading.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1484

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 9

Jut to make sure, because this bug is annoying for me too, I tested to import the same comics on the previous version of YAC Reader. Any issues! Two comics with over 300MB imported in a row just fine.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1485

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

# investigating the storage leak

## device

iPad 2 running iOS8.3

## how to reproduce

- import some comics;
- delete all of them;
- take note of the storage used for 0 comics.

## Results

I started with the version currently available on AppStore. Importing and deleting several comics.

Storage used for 0 comics:

- 0.22MB;
- 0.40MB;
- 0.58MB;
- 0.79MB;

Then I imported some comics again, updated the app to the beta version and repeated the process:

- 0.09MB;
- 0.34MB;
- 0.40MB;

The leak slowly increases. My guess is that the cover thumbnails aren't being deleted. Or is there some log file I don't know about?

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1486

Xukkorz

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 2

@selmf:

I tried to load yacreader stand alone and it does not have the same issues. I do seem to be getting the same thread leaking. I tried closing both out and loading yacreaderlibrary and then opening a comic and as soon as I do it kicks the cpu up to 100 percent like the last image. It only seems to happen when opening it from the library itself. I opened both programs at the same time from the apps folder and was able to open a comic in yacreader with out the cpu kicking into over drive.

No comic loaded
CPU: 2.7
Threads: 10

First comic Loaded
CPU:8.4
Threads: 13
Second
CPU:13
Threads:13
Third
CPU:12
Threads:14
Fourth
CPU:20
Threads:15
Fifth
CPU:21
Threads:16

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1490

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Hi!

The covers on grid view don't load if the library is on a network mapped folder.

Library installed on Windows 8.1.

Folder on a Synology NAS.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1492

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

@Robson The bug in the grid views covers is already fixed, please, testing on the next beta release.

@Xukkorz, thank you very much for the testing. I think that I have found the code that is leaking threads, I have to do some testing to verify it.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Luis Ángel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robson.sobral

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1501

Qulox

Senior Boarder

Thank you received: 8

Even though I use the YACReader almost daily I noticed just a while ago that the minimize (by pressing Win+D key) to desktop error and the inability to use media keys was fixed with this beta2. Thank you! (Kind of late but...) :ok:

I was checking the library in fullscreen and V-Sync doesn't seems to work, there is a lot of tearing. I closed the library between applying the changes.

Also, on library options in the performance section shouldn't the slider be called "Lower quality" and "Higher quality"? because as is now its not very clear what it means: If my computer has higher performance or if it will lower quality to improve library performance. I actually had to test it to see what it did.
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Qulox.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1502

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

@Qulox, the V-Sync is going to be enabled in the new beta 3, and the check for enable/disabling it will not take effect. This is a workaround, but I can't expend more time in this issue.

You are completely right about the "lower/higher quality" labels, you are not the first telling me this, but I always forget to change it.

BTW, another Sunday another beta :)
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qulox

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1503

Qulox

Senior Boarder

Thank you received: 8

@Luis, Nice, new beta :). V-Sync is not really a problem, I almost never use list mode on fullscreen, I was mostly fiddling around with the settings.

I just tried beta3 now and didn't have any problem with opening my libraries or deleting AppData folder and recreating it.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1507

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 3

Hey guys... I'm not sure how much help my input will be on the recent betas because I don't import books typically. I have been trying it out and everything seems fine, but I don't have previous experience with which to compare. Hopefully, I will be more useful as we test remote library features.

Everything seems fine, though... I am just trying out the new beta 3 desktop. I'm guessing the vsync issues were with the screen that shows the new comics being added? I did notice some screen tearing there in the previous version.

*edit* Screen tearing seems to be fixed... thank you.
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Drybonz.