Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Library as web server...

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1580

kinesia

Fresh Boarder

I was thinking, a really interesting addition to the Library program, in line with the "Browse" feature for iPads, would be to add a web server to the library and let you browse your collection over http if you know your ip and have your firewall and everything set up properly...

(It wouldn't work very well for me since I have ADSL with really bad upload bandwidth, but I just love the general idea...)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1581

plewylli

Fresh Boarder

Hi Kinesia,

I think that function's already available.
On top of the comics window in the Library, next to the big question mark, there is the "Show comics server options dialog".

Check it out!

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1582

kinesia

Fresh Boarder

Ooh, will try the new version tonight then!
(I only found out there was a new version because I came to post this!)

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1583

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Right now we do not have a webreader implementation. You can browse the library in your browser, but reading is not possible yet. (Ok, technically you can emulate what the iOS app does, but that's not very comfortable).

This is actually something we are considering to implement but can't tell when it will happen since we still have to solve some technical questions involved.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1584

kinesia

Fresh Boarder

Very cool. The browser looks great, shame it can't read things yet! Very glad it's in the works.

Using ie it asked me whether I wanted to open the weird filename and what with, I tried passing it to YacReader itself, but it didn't approve!

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1586

selmf

Developer

It's not really "in the works", we're considering it. That more or less means Luis and I talked about the idea, we liked it and we shared some technical thoughts on it. Right now, we've got our hands covered with other stuff on our to do list and we're really not too keen to start an open heart operation on the webserver code :X
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1593

kinesia

Fresh Boarder

Grin. I understand.

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1596

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Sooner or later there will be a new web interface for remote management, the headless version of YACReaderLibrary is already scheduled and it will need a web UI for managing everything.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Library as web server... 8 years 9 months ago #1597

selmf

Developer

Yup, we will have to touch that code in the near future. I kind of see a webreader as a logical extension to the headless mode and a step to be "truly cross-platform".

Right now it's hard to say how much work this interface stuff will be, but I don't expect it to be a smooth transition, at least on our end. On the user's end, we will go by "it's done when it's done", so it will take some time.

Library as web server... 8 years 7 months ago #1754

iamgroot

Fresh Boarder

In the next version, can we have password protection functionality? The mobile client would pass this encrypted password to the server to get access. This would allow exposing the server to the Internet (assuming the code is rock-solid secure!).
  • Page: