- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
YACReader 8.0 for Linux
- selmf
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
11 years 3 months ago #1566
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
YACReader 8.0 for Linux was created by selmf
Hi everyone! It's time to talk about the Debian and Archlinux versions of YACReader 8.0 (this includes of course Debian and Archlinux based distributions as well). Compared to the previous packages and also to the non-linux versions of YACReader 8.0, there will be some changes you should be aware of:
- new decompression engine, "unarr"
- no more support for .7z and .ace
- to run YACReader, you will have to install two packages (YACReader and "libunarr")
To make installing and keeping YACReader up to date easier for the .deb users, I will provide a repository that you can add to your package sources.
So far, I'm making good progress on this, but a few details of the new decompression backend package still have to be resolved. I'll make sure to give you something to play with as soon as I am done
- new decompression engine, "unarr"
- no more support for .7z and .ace
- to run YACReader, you will have to install two packages (YACReader and "libunarr")
To make installing and keeping YACReader up to date easier for the .deb users, I will provide a repository that you can add to your package sources.
So far, I'm making good progress on this, but a few details of the new decompression backend package still have to be resolved. I'll make sure to give you something to play with as soon as I am done
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #1571
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
Ok, here we go:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...mf&package=yacreader
aur.archlinux.org/packages/yacreader
If you choose to install YACReader manually on a .deb based distribution, you will also need to install libunarr manually. The package can be found here:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...lmf&package=libunarr
Please let me know how these packages are working for you, especially if you run a 32 bit system. If you're running a .deb based distribution other than Debian and Ubuntu and required additional steps to install these packages, please share them. Other than that I wish you happy reading
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...mf&package=yacreader
aur.archlinux.org/packages/yacreader
If you choose to install YACReader manually on a .deb based distribution, you will also need to install libunarr manually. The package can be found here:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?proj...lmf&package=libunarr
Please let me know how these packages are working for you, especially if you run a 32 bit system. If you're running a .deb based distribution other than Debian and Ubuntu and required additional steps to install these packages, please share them. Other than that I wish you happy reading
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by selmf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carmat06
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- carmat06
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #1573
by carmat06
Replied by carmat06 on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
[strike] I'm not sure if this is under your control, but the opensuse.org link above is showing a 503 error. [/strike]
Edit:
Its back up now. New problem, I'm running linux Mint 17.2, which is ubuntu 14.04 based. QT5.4 is not available for this distribution, does anyone know how to install the needed QT version?
Edit:
Its back up now. New problem, I'm running linux Mint 17.2, which is ubuntu 14.04 based. QT5.4 is not available for this distribution, does anyone know how to install the needed QT version?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by carmat06.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
11 years 2 months ago #1574
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
Hi carmat!
Thanks for your feedback. The 503 error sometimes appears when they do server maintenance. Nothing to worry about.
Now, for your real problem. This is something every user of a Debian based distribution faces sooner or later. You want or need to install a certain package, but the software on your system is too old to satisfy it's dependencies. In order to deal with this problem, special backports repositories exist, in which newer software is packaged in a way that is compatible with an distribution that shows it's age.
In order to use a backport repository, you'll either have to activate the one Mint comes with (?) or add the Ubuntu backports repository to your software sources. However, keep in mind that this will update a whole lot more than just Qt on your system. If you don't want that, you will have to manually install all the required packages, which is a very messy process I really don't recommend.
Lastly, for optimal results, don't use the Ubuntu 15.04 YACReader package. Use the package for 14.10 or Debian 8.0, they come with dependencies that are a bit friendlier for distributions with "older" software.
If you succeed, please consider writing a short guide for your fellow Mint users. I know this distribution is fairly popular, yet I can't offer direct support for it due to the dependency problem and the fact that the build service I'm using doesn't offer a Mint target.
If you run into additional problems don't hesitate to ask.
selfm
Thanks for your feedback. The 503 error sometimes appears when they do server maintenance. Nothing to worry about.
Now, for your real problem. This is something every user of a Debian based distribution faces sooner or later. You want or need to install a certain package, but the software on your system is too old to satisfy it's dependencies. In order to deal with this problem, special backports repositories exist, in which newer software is packaged in a way that is compatible with an distribution that shows it's age.
In order to use a backport repository, you'll either have to activate the one Mint comes with (?) or add the Ubuntu backports repository to your software sources. However, keep in mind that this will update a whole lot more than just Qt on your system. If you don't want that, you will have to manually install all the required packages, which is a very messy process I really don't recommend.
Lastly, for optimal results, don't use the Ubuntu 15.04 YACReader package. Use the package for 14.10 or Debian 8.0, they come with dependencies that are a bit friendlier for distributions with "older" software.
If you succeed, please consider writing a short guide for your fellow Mint users. I know this distribution is fairly popular, yet I can't offer direct support for it due to the dependency problem and the fact that the build service I'm using doesn't offer a Mint target.
If you run into additional problems don't hesitate to ask.
selfm
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Spendoza
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #1603
by Spendoza
Replied by Spendoza on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
I am also on Linux Mint, which is based on ubuntu 14.04.
I tried to run the commands listed on your install package page for the ubuntu 14.10. When I get to "sudo apt-get install YACreader" it tells me
"suggested packages:
qrencode qt5-image-formats-plugins
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded"
When I try the manual route, it tells me
"error: dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.3.0)"
I got the tarball, but I'm a Linux noob and I don't know how to install it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I tried to run the commands listed on your install package page for the ubuntu 14.10. When I get to "sudo apt-get install YACreader" it tells me
"suggested packages:
qrencode qt5-image-formats-plugins
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded"
When I try the manual route, it tells me
"error: dependency is not satisfiable: libqt5core5a (>=5.3.0)"
I got the tarball, but I'm a Linux noob and I don't know how to install it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Spendoza.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #1604
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
Hi,
the Qt version in Linux Mint 17 and Ubuntu 14.04 is simply too old. To get around this problem you have to install a newer version, at least Qt 5.3. You can try the packages from here:
launchpad.net/~beineri/+archive/ubuntu/opt-qt532-trusty
If these don't work for you, you can try to get what you need from Debian 8.0 or Ubuntu 14.10, but this can get tricky in the long run.
Hope this helps.
selmf
the Qt version in Linux Mint 17 and Ubuntu 14.04 is simply too old. To get around this problem you have to install a newer version, at least Qt 5.3. You can try the packages from here:
launchpad.net/~beineri/+archive/ubuntu/opt-qt532-trusty
If these don't work for you, you can try to get what you need from Debian 8.0 or Ubuntu 14.10, but this can get tricky in the long run.
Hope this helps.
selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by selmf.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Spendoza
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 2 months ago #1608
by Spendoza
Replied by Spendoza on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
So I tried to install the qt 5.3, but my noob is showing.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:beineri/opt-qt532-trusty
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqt5core5a
tells me libqt5core5a is the latest version
I don't think I'm installing the correct thing for qt 5.3.2
should I use this?
sudo apt-get install qt53base
I just don't want to screw up my install, and I really don't need a whole programmers suite taking up precious HD space when all I need is my updated comic reader lol
Thank you for your help.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:beineri/opt-qt532-trusty
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqt5core5a
tells me libqt5core5a is the latest version
I don't think I'm installing the correct thing for qt 5.3.2
should I use this?
sudo apt-get install qt53base
I just don't want to screw up my install, and I really don't need a whole programmers suite taking up precious HD space when all I need is my updated comic reader lol
Thank you for your help.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Topic Author
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
11 years 2 months ago #1609
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
Hi, disregard that repo, it's too complicated (the packages have been renamed and install to an optional location). For now, the only solution I can offer you is to use these packages from the Debian project:
packages.debian.org/source/wheezy-backpo...tbase-opensource-src
You should find everything you need there, but you'll have to download and install everything manually.
As a long-term solution, I'll try to set up a repo containing everything that is needed, but this will take a little time.
packages.debian.org/source/wheezy-backpo...tbase-opensource-src
You should find everything you need there, but you'll have to download and install everything manually.
As a long-term solution, I'll try to set up a repo containing everything that is needed, but this will take a little time.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Comlibro
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 1
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 2 months ago #1617
by Comlibro
Replied by Comlibro on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
Hello,
My first post here
Linux Mint 17.1 user here and obviously encountering the same issues. Researched getting qt 5.3 updated and stumbled across libqt5core5a 5.3.0 package from ubuntu repo, where it recomended adding the repository to software sources so as to grab the additional dependencies:
deb cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic main
deb security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic-security main
After seeing what packages would be modified in synaptic, I have held off as I am unsure what the consequences of updated some 40 dependencies and removing 4 (as specified in synaptic) would have within Mint.
I am definitely a linux novice, am I on the right track here, or is this a scorched earth approach to forcing the updated Qt version?
My first post here
deb cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic main
deb security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic-security main
After seeing what packages would be modified in synaptic, I have held off as I am unsure what the consequences of updated some 40 dependencies and removing 4 (as specified in synaptic) would have within Mint.
I am definitely a linux novice, am I on the right track here, or is this a scorched earth approach to forcing the updated Qt version?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Spendoza
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 2 months ago #1623
by Spendoza
Replied by Spendoza on topic YACReader 8.0 for Linux
I used the dropbox option to load my iPad, just to keep things going.
I can still get a few issues here and there, so I am willing to wait for the professional to get a package together if it means there is a lower likelihood of disaster lol
I can still get a few issues here and there, so I am willing to wait for the professional to get a package together if it means there is a lower likelihood of disaster lol
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel