Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for Linux users.

How 2 create a YACReader Server on Synology NAS

More
1 year 4 months ago #9483 by Gude
Got it! Finally! Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9484 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic How 2 create a YACReader Server on Synology NAS
Great!

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9485 by Gude
I´m very sorry, but that was to quick! I set up a library with my mac app and linked to my comic collection on my NAS. Everything worked perfect! After that I scanned the QR Code on my Mac and got the Library alsp on my Ipad. But when I close the Mac, the connection is gone. So I tried again to set up a library in Docker. And also I can find this library with my ipad. But I cannot see any comics... I guess I´m close, but I don´t get what I´m missing...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9486 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic How 2 create a YACReader Server on Synology NAS
Like I said, you need to use your NAS IP. When you scan the QR code from YACReaderLibrary in your mac the iOS app is connecting to your mac, not your NAS.

What's the IP of your NAS, what port did you asign to the container running YACReaderLibraryServer, that's what you need to use in the iOS app.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9487 by Gude
I finally solved it! It was not an IP or path problem. The docker didn´t had rights to read or change the files. So it could create the library, etc. but it could read it again. Thats why I didn´t saw any comic in the app. Finally I found this problem. Sorry, but I wasn´t aware that I have to handle docker like a "person" ;) Thanks again for your help and for this fantastic app!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9488 by SKarp
Okay, I'm probably an idiot, but...

I've got two instances of the official image running in Docker on my Synology box (one for myself, one for my spouse, so we don't share read history). And it's working great, except for one thing.

Somehow when I set it all up, I got it running with PUID=911 and PGID=911.

Which means, of course, that the entire contents of the libraries are owned by 911:911, which isn't a valid user/group on my NAS. This creates problems when I go to update the libraries.

Is there a way to change the PUID and PGID without recreating the whole works from scratch? Some configuration file I can edit or command line update?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9489 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic How 2 create a YACReader Server on Synology NAS
In the setup section you can see that PUID and PGID are parameters you can pass when running the container hub.docker.com/r/yacreader/yacreaderlibraryserver

The reading progress is kept in the library itself, in a folder called .yacreaderlibrary so any container pointing to that is going to see the exact same reading progress.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #9490 by SKarp

Luis Ángel wrote: In the setup section you can see that PUID and PGID are parameters you can pass when running the container hub.docker.com/r/yacreader/yacreaderlibraryserver


I did see that while I was beating my brains out over this.

I should have specified that I'm using the Synology Container Manager, which, as far as I can tell, doesn't allow you to add arbitrary parameters at runtime. As best I can tell, they can only be specified at container creation. Which sucks, but I really don't want to start mixing my technologies.

Which led me to a workaround. For anyone else in the same boat:
  1. Stop the container
  2. Open the settings and click the link to duplicate the container
  3. Edit the configuration as you see fit
  4. Uncheck "Run this container after the wizard is finished", then click "Duplicate"
  5. Close the settings. You now have an additional container with the same name and "-1" at the end.
  6. (Optional) Delete the original container (don't worry about the warning that everything will be deleted, it's only the container that gets deleted, not the library or the .yacreaderlibrary folder). Open the settings for the new container and rename it to remove the "-1"
  7. Start the new container. (I think there's a bug here. I had to back out of the container details, then go back in before it would actually start.)

Bonus: Not only does this get the container running under the correct user information, but it also automatically changes the ownership of the files in the collection to match. In my case, no more 911:911.

I still don't know where those spurious values snuck in from, but for anyone else using stock Synology, make sure you add those PGID and PUID values when you create your containers. Not just YACReader, but any Docker container!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #9624 by Xelasi
Hello,
Thanks for the official version and updated instructions!
Quick question: Does the server automatically update its libraries at intervals for when new comics are added to folders?
I'm using the official Docker image and when I add new comics to existing library directories, they don't show up until I manually run update-library for each one. I thought I remembered this being automatic with some of the earlier versions.
I feel I'm missing something
Thanks,
Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #9626 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic How 2 create a YACReader Server on Synology NAS
There is info here about how to configure the automatic updates: hub.docker.com/r/yacreader/yacreaderlibraryserver

It’s in the advanced settings section.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!