Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader beta 8.0

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1316

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

@ Qulox: Ever heard of Murphy's Law?

@ Luis: Nice to see things are picking up again. Time to have one more look at my to do list for the current beta, I have this feeling I forgot to submit one or two cosmetical fixes I might need for the Linux version.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1317

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Felix, there are a couple of blocking bugs before the next beta:
  1. the detection of OpenGL, trying to load the OpenGL flow causes hangs if OpenGL is not available in the system (f.e. no drivers)
  2. crashes in the server side, it happens from time to time while using the iOS client
  3. grid view resorting (labels and reading lists) doesn't work well when multiselection is used and selected comics are not contiguous.

But....I have to publish a version with the sync back feature enabled when the iOS beta will be available. So, maybe we will have a beta 1.5 :P
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1318

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 3

Hey Luis... out of curiosity, are you planning staggered releases for the various platforms, or doing them all at once?

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1319

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Yes, definitely.

The problem with the iOS version was that I had to redesign most of the UI interface for placing the new features, but I also had to release a version with support for iPhone 6/6+. Adapting the 1.x version to iPhone 6/6+ and then redesign the for 2.0 wasn't an option, too much work. So the development cycle has been soooo long.

With the desktop version I made a mistake, I changed the web services used by the iOS client, but I didn't maintain compatibility with the old version. Frankly, I was expecting the iOS version to be released earlier, so I didn't think that this will cause any problems.

2.x (iOS) and 8.x (desktops) versions will be released after shorter development cycles and independently.
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1320

selmf

Developer

Luis Ángel wrote:
Felix, there are a couple of blocking bugs before the next beta:
  1. the detection of OpenGL, trying to load the OpenGL flow causes hangs if OpenGL is not available in the system (f.e. no drivers)
  2. crashes in the server side, it happens from time to time while using the iOS client
  3. grid view resorting (labels and reading lists) doesn't work well when multiselection is used and selected comics are not contiguous.

But....I have to publish a version with the sync back feature enabled when the iOS beta will be available. So, maybe we will have a beta 1.5 :P

I shouldn't have mentioned Murphy :D

Luis, I was under the impression I gave you some pointers to an easy way to check the version of the OpenGL context created in the coverflow. Did you actually test that?

Since you're using non-Qt functions as well, you could also get the version string of the OpenGL context by other means, such as glgetstring(GL_VERSION) but you'll have to add some extra logic to detect if it's truly desktop OpenGL or Qt's ANGLE, which is OpenGL ES.

If you're interested I can whip you up a quick detection mechanism based on what Qt provides, but you'll have to implement the logic to act upon it, as I have no system where only OpenGL 1 is available to test it.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1321

Luis Ángel

Administrator

selmf, I was only listing the blocking tasks, I remember the talking about this issue. I am going to try your suggestions about detecting OpenGL version, I will keep you updated :)

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1322

selmf

Developer

Great! I've posted you a little something to get you started on Bitbucket.

For the other blocker, the QtWebApp upstream might have some hints on what's happening. It's a shame the author doesn't use any version control system, that would make it a lot of easier to backport one of his bugfixes to our codebase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1323

ST

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

I have found 3 bugs in the mac version
  • I use two desktop screen. When I open a new comic, the new one appears in a different desktop. I have to switch to the next desktop to read and press a button quickly. If I don´t press anything the screen goes back to the yacreader library. If I press F to exit full screen it stays in the different desktop
  • I tried to use Comic Vine and I have downloaded the key API, but I get a "invalidad key" error everytime I want to use it. I can´t submit or change the API key (I did a copy/paste, so I assume it is alright.
  • If I create a label it works. But if I close the programa, the label disappear.
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by ST.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1324

selmf

Developer

Thanks for reporting ST. I assume you're opening the comics from the library? It's possible that your bug is related to the OpenGL coverflow, so it would be great if you could retest with software rendering (in YACReader: Options-cog --> Page Flow --> uncheck "use hardware acceleration", save, restart).

@ Luis: I hadn't noticed till now, but it seems QOpenGLWidget received some bugfixes in Qt 5.4.1. With 5.4.0, I also noticed some really weird window drawing behaviour on startup. With 5.4.1, I'm no longer able to trigger this any more. My guess is that what I experienced and what the Mac users are experiencing are symptoms of the same bug.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 11 months ago #1325

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you ST. Please, keep an eye to this topic, depending on how the testing of the issues goes I could need your help. You can change the API key for Comic Vine in the options dialog (General section)...

@selmf, I have installed Qt 5.4.1 on Yosemite a couple of days ago. I want to run a good testing session for the MacOSX version....
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Luis Ángel.